Keeping chest freezer outside

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
So the only place I have room to keep my chest freezer is outside on the patio. It can and most likely will receive sunlight for the better part of the day. Does anyone see any problem with it getting that much sun, potentially getting too hot. I am wondering if it will cause it to continuously run.

Do you think keeping it covered with a grill cover or reflective tarp will help?

bsnedeker

WKR
I keep mine in my 3-season porch....does it get below freezing where you live? That is what you need to worry about more than hot weather. Running a freezer when the outside temps are lower than the freezer is extremely bad for the compressor. I just unplug it when it gets below 20 degrees or so here in MN.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a tarp to basically creat a lean to to keep it covered from sun but ventilated so it doesn’t over heat.

I keep mine in my 3-season porch....does it get below freezing where you live? That is what you need to worry about more than hot weather. Running a freezer when the outside temps are lower than the freezer is extremely bad for the compressor. I just unplug it when it gets below 20 degrees or so here in MN.

We just had our first night, maybe two of freezing temps. Here in South Carolina we rarely have extended times of below freezing temps and every day warms back up, even during winter so I don’t think I will need to unplug it.

muddydogs

WKR

I had a chest freezer outside under a carport last winter, take the same freezer hunting and I don't have a problem with it in colder temps. The colder the outside temps the less it runs. My issue was with it in the summer setting under the carport in 100 degree temps, I don't think it shut off for a month.

So why is it bad for a compressor when the temps are colder outside then inside the freezer? Which I don't see happening to much if your freezer is set to around 0 degrees. If its colder then zero outside then the freezer probably won't be running at all. Is there some fact to your statement or just hearsay?

It is a pretty well known fact that traditional freezers ( and refrigerators) are made to work within certain temps, typically somewhere in the 50-90degr range. If you get outside of those temps problems can occur. Typically these problems occur closer to freezing temps.
The temps inside of the freezer are irrelevant to the operating temps of the compressor which is located outside of the freezer.

Mine has been on my carport, which is covered but not enclosed, for 4 years. It wasn’t expensive when I bought it used and it doesn’t seem at all Worse for the wear than the day I bought it. Terrible humidity where I live in NC too.