2018 season

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
A first trip for me also. Waited 3 years to do a float hunt with Papa Bear Adventures. I'm every bit as excited about the float as I am the hunt itself. Hunting Sept 9th- 24th. Good luck to all this fall

OP
D
A first trip for me also. Waited 3 years to do a float hunt with Papa Bear Adventures. I'm every bit as excited about the float as I am the hunt itself. Hunting Sept 9th- 24th. Good luck to all this fall

That’s exciting good luck! I’m in the process of putting my 2019 float trip together for Alaska as well.

brown4christ

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I!!
We are flying out the 11th of September from Bethel with Renfro Adventures. I went on my 1st DIY moose hunt in the Alaska range last year with a friend and took a decent 50" bull and a black bear. It was my first trip to Alaksa as well! However, I'm even more excited this year to go with my son. We're scheduled for pick up on the 24th but (because we're bow hunters) Renfro agreed to let us stay until the end of the month if we haven't taken our bulls yet.
I hope all of you have an amazing season!!

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am heading to Wyoming to try for a bull. I am hoping to hit the rut at the end of September/beginning of October. Although I have a Shiras tag in my pocket, I am envious of all of you who are going to Alaska. Good luck!

Moose are wonderful to hunt no matter where you get to pursue them.

I'll be back in Alaska to kick off another consecutive backcountry hunt. The valley I'll be in has plenty of mature bulls using it, and only one has been killed in there....ever. The airstrip is tiny and rough; making the Super Cub runs very interesting. Our hunt begins on the 9th and runs until whenever we've had enough, or the end of the season if necessary. I'm being joined by a good friend who is going for his first Alaska moose. Both of us are longbow guys, so you know our odds are a bit...hmm...longer than most. No shortage of confidence, though.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going with Renfro's for a drop-camp hunt the middle of September. First moose hunt and I've really benefited from everyone's help here on the forum. I'm pretty sure the planning is almost as fun as the hunt itself.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
For the fifth year in a row, heading out to Unit 18 on Sept 3. After hunting Unit 13 and 20 for many years, I'm really enjoying the solitude of 18. Will do a 50 mile pack-raft float for the first week, fly fishing for rainbows and hunting caribou. Then we transfer to moose country for two weeks. Like others here, we use Wade (Renfro's). We are family friends, and can't say enough good things about he and his family.

KJH

WKR
I decided to take this year off of Alaska because I didn't have anyone to go with. The closer I get to September the more I'm regretting that decision. I should have just went on my own.

OP
D
For the fifth year in a row, heading out to Unit 18 on Sept 3. After hunting Unit 13 and 20 for many years, I'm really enjoying the solitude of 18. Will do a 50 mile pack-raft float for the first week, fly fishing for rainbows and hunting caribou. Then we transfer to moose country for two weeks. Like others here, we use Wade (Renfro's). We are family friends, and can't say enough good things about he and his family.

That sounds like an epic trip!! Take lots of pics and update us on how it goes. What river you floating?

brown4christ

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a great trip Kevin Dill! My son and I are both bow hunters as well! I haven't brought myself to go traditional yet. I hope you have a great trip!!

Jake C.

FNG
Dang those all sound like such awesome trips! Hopefully we will be seeing some success pictures down the road on here. Good luck to all of you!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
That sounds like an epic trip!! Take lots of pics and update us on how it goes. What river you floating?

The Kanektok River, which is absolutely wonderful. Did that same float last year in July and caught rainbows and Arctic Char. We started up high in the Kilbuck and Eek Mountains, and will do the same again. Ate one of the Char for dinner while under a tarp in the rain, and it was the best I've ever had...might have been the setting!

mcseal2

WKR
I'm also headed out with Papa Bear from Sept 19th to 29th. My first moose and first Alaskan hunt. Just got in from hiking a couple miles with a 70lb pack, trying to get the legs ready for moose quarters. I'm sure it won't be enough but it will help. Every morning I saddle my horse I think about having to quarter him and pack him out, it's a good motivator. Hope the horse doesn't figure out what I'm thinking...

Good luck everyone on your hunts.

OP
D
The Kanektok River, which is absolutely wonderful. Did that same float last year in July and caught rainbows and Arctic Char. We started up high in the Kilbuck and Eek Mountains, and will do the same again. Ate one of the Char for dinner while under a tarp in the rain, and it was the best I've ever had...might have been the setting!

Was the fishing pretty good w/ any good size fish? Is there a salmon run up that river?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Was the fishing pretty good w/ any good size fish? Is there a salmon run up that river?

Yes...the rainbows and char were taking flesh colored Dolly Llama's.
Yes...it is known for large rainbows on the lower stretch...we were on the upper, and the largest I caught was around 22".
Yes...strong sockeye run last July...literally a continuous line of them for miles.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Best of luck to everyone for an enjoyable and safe hunt. Moose is the best eating meat you'll harvest...my kids were raised on it. Bring it back home with you.

Man I will be chomping at the bit waiting for the stories from you guys going this year!!

I still have 2 more years to go (which I need because I still have a lot of saving to do)

Good luck to you guys! Hope to read a bunch of success stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk