Where to get a scapula?

FlyGuy

WKR
Does anyone know where or how I can acquire a Moose scapula for raking? A cow scapula would probably work just as well, and may be easier to come by (?), but I'd like to go as traditional as possible

I drew a Bull Moose tag for Idaho and I'll be there Sept 10-23 and solo for the majority of it. This is likely to be my one and only chance to hunt these amazing animals and I'd like to get the full experience. Though it doesn't seem that many use calling or raking in this area based on my research thus far, those are two of my favorite go-to actions for archery elk so I want to incorporate that into the hunt. I can use a rifle but i want to get it done with a bow, so calling in close would be optimal. I just have no idea where or how to get one of these scapulas (live in TX now, not a big moose population. Haha).

Thanks for all the help guys! 46 days away now!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
You dont need a scapula.
Just cut the bottom off a 5 qt oil or 1 gallon anitfreeze jug.

Its durable plastic, you can grunt with it, scrape with it, already has a handle.... and it sounds really good

Get ready to laugh....

I always wanted a moose scap years back. A really good hunter told me his secret and helped me acquire the same call he used. We stopped in at an aircraft hangar and found an empty quart plastic bottle...specifically Phillips 66 X/C Aviation oil. Blue plastic quart bottle. Cut the big bottom off and throw away the cap. Wash it out and remove oil residue. Presto...best lightweight moose rake and megaphone I've ever seen. Free is a good price. Weighs a couple ounces. Rides on or in my pack. Hold it by the neck to rake dead spruce. Grunt or cow call through it for amplification. I've killed a number of bulls that came right in to the raking sound it produces...a good hollow and moderately loud rake.

I've tried to find other oil bottles which were as stiff but most are softer plastic and not as rigid. I can't do better than that Phillips blue bottle. That oil bottle makes big noise and is my absolute TOP call device for moose. The scapula looks better hanging in my den.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
When my brother drew an Idaho moose tag last year he designated me as his caller (and packer). I'd never even attempted to call a moose before but I did some research, watched a bunch of videos and ended up buying a commercially made fiberglass moose call that was supposed to be good for calling and raking. It did sound pretty good for calling but not quite so good for raking. After 2 days of lugging that heavy thing around I threw it in the tent, cut the bottom out of an empty Gatorade bottle and used it for the remainder of the hunt. I'd read about Kevin using an empty bottle on his past hunts and the Gatorade bottle was as close as I had available. It sounded just as good calling, better for raking and weighed about 1/10th the amount of the other call. I ended up calling a nice bull into 20 yds with it. After that experience, no way would I lug a big call or scapula around on a moose hunt again.

We hunted the first week of October and the bulls were very receptive to calling so I think you'll have good luck with it toward the latter part of your hunt. Good Luck!

KJH

WKR
Get ready to laugh....

I always wanted a moose scap years back. A really good hunter told me his secret and helped me acquire the same call he used. We stopped in at an aircraft hangar and found an empty quart plastic bottle...specifically Phillips 66 X/C Aviation oil. Blue plastic quart bottle. Cut the big bottom off and throw away the cap. Wash it out and remove oil residue. Presto...best lightweight moose rake and megaphone I've ever seen. Free is a good price. Weighs a couple ounces. Rides on or in my pack. Hold it by the neck to rake dead spruce. Grunt or cow call through it for amplification. I've killed a number of bulls that came right in to the raking sound it produces...a good hollow and moderately loud rake.

I've tried to find other oil bottles which were as stiff but most are softer plastic and not as rigid. I can't do better than that Phillips blue bottle. That oil bottle makes big noise and is my absolute TOP call device for moose. The scapula looks better hanging in my den.

I second this big time. I use the same oil bottle as my primary scrape tool. I do use a bull magnet sometimes, but I think the oil bottle makes a better sound. Mine isn't blue but it also came from a hangar.

WoodBow

WKR
If you are set on real bone, I'd look up a local butcher/ slaughter house. Or even rancher. Cows die and get reduced to a pile of bones pretty quickly. Hek there are several skeletons on our lease. I can ship you one if it comes down to it.

mcseal2

WKR
I could also get you a cow scapula from our ranch. The bottle idea sounds better to me though. I have a bull magnet call and I'm thinking of just getting a bottle now.

Maverick940

Banned
I could also get you a cow scapula from our ranch. The bottle idea sounds better to me though. I have a bull magnet call and I'm thinking of just getting a bottle now.

A small piece of 3/16ths underlayment ply works real well and also acts as a visual. Small, handy and light weight. It also has good resonance. Kind of like carrying a Jim Shockey canoe paddle, yet smaller and lighter.

I was in a store and checked out the Bull Magnet. Sounded great but no way will I ever carry it around with the weight it has.

Plastic oil jug with the bottom cut out worked for me. I put mine on a 18" stick just jammed in the bottle cap end. To me, it sounded better than holding the jug in my hand. It must have sounded OK to the moose cause he came right in.

What about using an elk scapula? I saved both the scapulas from the bull I shot this year just for this reason to try out how they sound when they eventually dry out.

squirrel

WKR
I saved both of mine from my shiras, story here as well, but figured it was only for pics as the oil bottle on a stick is so functional, light and cheap. Same with my authentic birch bark funnel, smuggled back from a northern Ontario lake, My kids toy plastic thing is way better but not good for the pics. On sale in september at walmart for $.50 each

IMG_0963 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

AKBorn

WKR
Another fan of the plastic quart oil jug. I do take a bull magnet to camp when moose hunting, but only use it for calling at bulls a long way away as it helps the sound carry more in my mind. Got one to come off a ridge about 2 miles away once...too bad he only had 3 brow tines...

Jimss

WKR
I called in around a dozen bulls on a Wyo shiras hunt. The fewer things I lug around on hunts the better. I merely cupped my hands to call. I picked up sticks or logs that I used to whack and rub trees. The whacking of trees could be heard for a long ways and definitely got their attention! Once bulls came in within a couple hundred yards it really helped scraping a tree with a log to ceil the deal! It would be hard to do this with a jug!

A scapula may work but I'd rather just pick up a log and let're rip!

Stid2677

WKR
I like using a white gallon antifreeze container, with the bottom cut out. Sounds much better than when I used the quart container on a stick and it can be used as an antler and to aid hearing.

P8290255_zps3eb268a9.jpg

Works like a charm.

IMGP0304-1.jpg

I've used an elk scapula in WY, moose scapula in Alaska, and now a long, narrow hard plastic funnel that I cut the nozzle end to about 1-1/2"....big end is probably 6" in diameter, Forget the price but it was cheap at the auto parts store....kept the small end as a funnel for putting oil into my lawn mower, RZR, Grizzly, etc. Sounds good as a megaphone or raking. Have a shoe lace attached as the lanyard.