Age of point holders

KINGSNAKE

WKR
It would be nice if states broke down the ages of point holders. I have ten moose points in Wyoming now and it feels like I'm getting no where. I don't think I have enough points now to burn on a cow tag. If the majority of point holders were 60 and older I may have a chance some day, but I don't feel that's the case. Anyone else wonder about this besides me.

JWP58

WKR
Well if you listen to the people in the know, hunter numbers continue to decline, and the avg age is somewhere north of 50. That is despite Wyoming receiving more applications every year it seems. Who knows, maybe it will work in your favor.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't worry about their ages, I only look to see how many points they had to draw. In CO I have 3 and 12 weighted points and see guys with 3 and 1 or 3 and 2 drawing my tag every year.:mad:

muddydogs

WKR
Well in Utah we now have a youth mentor program, I have no problem with getting the youth hunting but with this program a guy that can no longer hunt could draw any tag and then mentor any youth so age means a lot less in this state. I know if I was unable to hunt and had 20+ years worth of points I would be putting in for the tag so a family or friend youth would get the chance at a moose. The mentor has to be able to communicate by voice or hand signals with the youth so as long as the mentor can set in a vehicle a moose hunt would be doable in many Utah areas.

I am relying on most point holder dying with points in their pocket. I also am replying on people chasing point creep to the point of being so old they cant physically go on the hunt any more.

I personally know a lot of guys who have over 20 points in Colorado. They are around 60 years old and have no intentions on using their points until the last minute. One of them is in bad health.

My plan is working.

I know this sounds really bad but if a person is playing the odds they should factor this in.

I plan to use my points when I get around 10 points. This will allow me to get into about 3 areas in my lifetime that should be sufficient to kill some good bulls/bucks with my bow.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I had plans of using my wyoming moose points at around 10. Here I am an there is no end in sight.

Trial153

WKR
I am dumping 11 moose and sheep points in WY. Didnt apply nor buy points. At this point I am tossing good money after bad. I figure it's a saving of about 5k over the next 15 years ...and no Guarantee that I would be drawing in 15 years.

tracker12

WKR
Drew my LE UT elk tag at 57 (FishLake), CO Elk at 60 (Unit 2) and WY elk (Bighorns) at 64. Three bulls later I am all cashed out:) Now if I can only draw one of those random tags. Good Luck.

Don't give up on it. I drew Utah moose with 10 points (less than 1%) of drawing and my wife drew a Utah moose this year with 6 points. I know that we're way lucky and probably should go to Vegas with this luck but I happens to a few people every year.

KHNC

WKR
i know a guy that finally drew the dinosaur unit of CO, for elk, with 21 points. He was 72 and couldnt get around that great. It was a ML tag. Didnt fire a shot. Damn shame he had to wait that long to draw as a resident.