Meat flights out of Bethel

We will be flying out of Chicago to Anchorage and then to Bethel. All on Alaskan Airlines. I have a question for those that have done this. Since we will be flying out of Bethel on Alaskan Airlines can we fly our meat out of there as checked baggage in fish boxes or do we have to use Alaskan Cargo. The outfitter we are going with has new owner's this year and one of the guy's going with me talked to them last week. He was told that all meat and antler's flown out of Bethel goes out on Alaskan Cargo for .45 cents per lb. Which would cost around $500 just to get it to Anchorage. Since all of our flights are Alaskan Airlines the cost would be considerably less to pay the one time $75 over sized baggage fee for each box. If anyone can shed some light on this we would greatly appreciate it.

KJH

WKR
If you're on the evening flight out of Bethel in the bigger plane / jet you can fly all your meat and antlers out with you as checked baggage to your final destination just fine. Its easy, affordable, and most convenient for me when I fly out of Bethel.

KU_Geo

WKR
Statement above is spot on. Only have to cut antlers if the are absolutely giant, but most can go in one piece.

mcseal2

WKR
Are you hunting with Papa Bear? I will be with them too and figuring out the same logistics. Thanks.

KJH

WKR
Last time I flew out of Bethel after a DIY hunt, it was with a set of 64" antlers and they didn't need to be cut. Someone was on the flight with a much larger set than I...

I pad each tip with small pieces of slit garden hose and then pipe insulation around them then cardboard... more cardboard, and then a crapload of clear pallet wrap. Put some labels on it and you're all set. Pack the clean boned out meat in coolers and ask for the "frozen" stickers when you check in. That way if there is a unplanned delay, your meat will have a better chance of making it to a cooler of freezer if one is available. Be ready to process meat for a long time as soon as you get home. My wife sets up my processing operation before I get back, so the first thing we when I get home is get the meat cut, vacuum sealed and frozen.

Last time I flew out of Bethel after a DIY hunt, it was with a set of 64" antlers and they didn't need to be cut. Someone was on the flight with a much larger set than I...

I pad each tip with small pieces of slit garden hose and then pipe insulation around them then cardboard... more cardboard, and then a crapload of clear pallet wrap. Put some labels on it and you're all set. Pack the clean boned out meat in coolers and ask for the "frozen" stickers when you check in. That way if there is a unplanned delay, your meat will have a better chance of making it to a cooler of freezer if one is available. Be ready to process meat for a long time as soon as you get home. My wife sets up my processing operation before I get back, so the first thing we when I get home is get the meat cut, vacuum sealed and frozen.

Great info! Anybody have any pictures of the antler packaging?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
solid recommendation: take with you about 36" hose and duct tape from the hardware store before you get to Bethel.

mcseal2

WKR
When i talked to papa bear last weeek they said they will have tape and hose a availible for antler wrapping so i didnt need to bring it.

OP
R
Mcseal2 did they by chance say if they would have rolls of plastic shipping wrap also?

mcseal2

WKR
Yep they did. They said unless I wanted to do something special they had materials I could use for packaging my antlers, hose, tape, and plastic wrap.

OP
R
That's good to know. Those that have used the fish boxes do they hold around 50lbs or can you get 100lbs in them. I'm guessing if they only hold 50lbs that most tape two of them together?

geriggs

WKR
We just did this last year. You may want to check and double check those Air cargo prices. One of the groups we were up there with was quoted similar prices but actual prices were $.94 a pound. We shipped 2 capes, 4 skull/antlers, and i dont know how much meat maybe 700 pounds (donated a lot). All together was 1300 pounds on air cargo was like $1250. Worked out well and meat was in great shape but i did hear of guys using checked luggage. We decided against that. Good luck. Papa bear is a great outfit. I hope the new owners are just as good as Steve and his wife. We did end up buying a bunch of plastic totes to ship the meat back in. You may want to ship some up there or buy them from Papa bear at 40 bucks a pop. We could have found ways to be more frugile but we didnt want to deal with a lot of hassle. It all worked out. Meat is the best meat I have ever had. I love elk and deer but moose is another level.....at least ours was.

AKDoc

WKR
Meat is the best meat I have ever had. I love elk and deer but moose is another level.....at least ours was.

Well done sir. Take good care of it in the field (like any game meat), and moose is the absolute best!

Evert's Air Cargo is an Anchorage based business for in-state shipping. We ship all of our meat from two or three moose from Bethel to Anchorage for .33/pound...it goes from the Evert's freezer in Bethel to their freezer in Anchorage, where it stays until the processor comes and gets it. Storage is free. Done that for five years now.

For those of you out of state, you should check Alaska Air Cargo, which is part of Alaska Airlines. They run special rates frequently and offer door to door service. There is also a special that if you ship air freight with them within a certain time frame of your passenger flight you get a really crazy low shipping rate. I would also check and see if you could ship to Anchorage via Evert's, and then have it transferred to Alaska Air Cargo for out of state.

Bring back all of your meat...

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I always buy the flattened wax boxes from Costco. I think they come 10 to a pack and are 40-50 lb size. Ship them out early in the mail. Build them on site and use zip ties to assembly the sides.

Evert’s and Lynden Air Cargo both have cold storage coming out of Bethel.