Headed to Alberta

wysongdog

WKR
I’m headed to Alberta moose hunting in 10 days. Any great tips. Will be driving. Anything I should know about crossing the border with a rifle? What’s the weather like that time of year?

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Which part of Alberta? its a big province that ranges from Mountains , Foothills, Farm land, Large forests?? First thing is dress warm, its seasonably cold right now with lots of snow in certain places. Its below freezing at night with daytime highs around the 5-10 degree C.

wyosteve

WKR
Unless it's changed, when crossing the border with a rifle, you'll have to fill out a form and pay about $50. Can't remember if they call it an import permit or just registration. Also helps if you have some type of proof of ownership of the rifle. Best if you check with Canadian customs ahead of time to eliminate any surprises.

keller

WKR
hello and best of luck on your hunt.i recently returned from hunting in ak and drove through canada from wi.you can take long rifles,shotguns no pistols.it is very easy fill out form 5589e printable off the internet.make sure you fill out or have 3 copies of your filled out form they requested that.when i got to the border they asked whats your business in Canada, i said passing through to Alaska hunting,do you have firearms,yes what kind,rifle,do you have non resident firearm declaration filled out,yes.pull over and come in back door bring in your forms.took like 10 minutes.they didn't ask to see the gun just made sure the form was filled out correctly.stamped signed and dated it good for 60 days.and most importantly collected their $25 that is cnd funds.i handed them a $100 us bill and he said i know this sounds like a good deal but its not you gave me $100 us and i gave you $102 cnd back but i needed some cnd to pay for campgrounds and such on the way anyway.best of luck

ljalberta

WKR
Which part of Alberta? its a big province that ranges from Mountains , Foothills, Farm land, Large forests?? First thing is dress warm, its seasonably cold right now with lots of snow in certain places. Its below freezing at night with daytime highs around the 5-10 degree C.

Yup, bring warm clothes. It's a chilly September this year. The high today where I am is 33*F. Hoping for a change for the warmer soon!