Outfitter suggestions for 2019 or 2020 Moose Hunt

Kilboars

WKR
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 or 2020 Archery Moose Hunt and looking for an outfitter.

Bowhunting a big bull Moose is at the top of my bucket list now so I'm reading through the threads here and looking at all my options. Any advise or ideas welcomed.

I a meat hunter so I want to get all/most of the meat back to Florida. I've heard they have a refrigerated cargo ship from NF that can bring the meat down the east coast.

I really would like a trophy size moose.

I'm also in my mid 50's and although I keep myself in decent shape but not trying to prove anything.

I don't mind paying a little more for the right outfitter.

I'm open to any ideas.

Thank you

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
Do you have a ballpark cost you would like to stay within? Are you looking to hunt Canada, Alaska, or elsewhere?

FYI on the chilled semi truck hauling meat back to the states...as of a few years ago, it only went as far as the Midwest, but that may have changed.

Good luck on your adventure!

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Do you have a ballpark cost you would like to stay within? Are you looking to hunt Canada, Alaska, or elsewhere?

FYI on the chilled semi truck hauling meat back to the states...as of a few years ago, it only went as far as the Midwest, but that may have changed.

Good luck on your adventure!

Thanks for the info.

I'd like to be south of $10k but I'm open to going wherever they have some nice sized moose and I can get the meat back home. I'd also do a moose/caribou combo hunt.

AKBorn

WKR
Thanks for the info.

I'd like to be south of $10k but I'm open to going wherever they have some nice sized moose and I can get the meat back home. I'd also do a moose/caribou combo hunt.

I can't speak for the Western states, but am not sure you could find an outfitted hunt in AK for $10K or less. You could reach out to Larry Bartlett, who helps a few float hunters each year in AK - but be prepared if you do, a float hunt is a lot of work and even moreso with a moose.

I think you could do Canada for that amount, am not sure where the best spots are, a golf friend I know goes to Newfoundland and seems to do pretty well. I think the moose are bigger in the Yukon, but you re likely to pay more than you would for Newfoundland.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I can't speak for the Western states, but am not sure you could find an outfitted hunt in AK for $10K or less. You could reach out to Larry Bartlett, who helps a few float hunters each year in AK - but be prepared if you do, a float hunt is a lot of work and even moreso with a moose.

I think you could do Canada for that amount, am not sure where the best spots are, a golf friend I know goes to Newfoundland and seems to do pretty well. I think the moose are bigger in the Yukon, but you re likely to pay more than you would for Newfoundland.

Alaska always sounds great but not sure I could even devote the time that time of year to do it right. I've looked into Newfoundland and I'm leaning that way but just want to know all my options.

Thank you much for your input and knowledge though.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are flying, you can take a couple of coolers up to the NWT or Yukon, but once you get past a certain quantity of baggage or weight, they classify those things as cargo and not baggage. Once that happens, it gets deprioritized and can get bumped on some of the regional carriers like Canadian North, especially if a flight is full. A guide told me the other day, if someone wants to come to NWT and take the whole moose home, they need to have their own plane (and some folks do).

If you have the time, you find somewhere where you can drive the whole way with a generator and chest freezer.

Or you might look into alaska....I was looking online the other day and saw a couple of outfitters who said on their website that their price incuded getting all of your meat to a processor who can then ship it to your home.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
If you are flying, you can take a couple of coolers up to the NWT or Yukon, but once you get past a certain quantity of baggage or weight, they classify those things as cargo and not baggage. Once that happens, it gets deprioritized and can get bumped on some of the regional carriers like Canadian North, especially if a flight is full. A guide told me the other day, if someone wants to come to NWT and take the whole moose home, they need to have their own plane (and some folks do).

If you have the time, you find somewhere where you can drive the whole way with a generator and chest freezer.

Or you might look into alaska....I was looking online the other day and saw a couple of outfitters who said on their website that their price incuded getting all of your meat to a processor who can then ship it to your home.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you for that info. Alaska is fine just curious what the cost would be per lbs back to FL.

BRWNBR

WKR
Your on a 10k budget for a 40-50” moose and you want to have all the meat shipped home included in that 10k price? Am I following you so far?

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Your on a 10k budget for a 40-50” moose and you want to have all the meat shipped home included in that 10k price? Am I following you so far?

I'm sleeping with my boss so I don't really have a budget:) Shipping meat, flights, lodging before and after would be separate I figure.

Trial153

WKR
40ish is do able in NF on that budget including getting meat home, I have done that twice bowhunting NF. Fly in lodge, good unit...hold off on smaller bulls, it can be done

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I doubt it. I am booked with my dad, got a woody tag as well.
He been booked up two and three year out at this point

Maybe I should of booked it when I had the chance. With all you know now do you still think that's the moose hunt to take?

How big was your moose again?

What is the Woody tag?

Trial153

WKR
Maybe I should of booked it when I had the chance. With all you know now do you still think that's the moose hunt to take?

How big was your moose again?

What is the Woody tag?

I don't think NF is the place for trophy moose, however it can't be beat for price and logistics as far a setting meat home from the east coast. Numbers of moose seen are excellent as well in the better areas. That said I bet 40in plus moose make up only the top 20% of bulls killed.
The last moose I killed there was 40 on the money and my dads was 38 with better paddles. The other two moose in camp were 42 and 32. keep in kind nobody was holding out for anything and we were all filled up on the third day of hunting.

I have a woodland caribou tag for 2019 along with my moose tag. As far as it being the hunt to take. Thats up to you. I love bowhunting moose anywhere I can, and honestly if its not an Alaskan Yukon ( never mind a Shiras, which I can't draw) they are all pretty much the same for me. I got NF because its close and I can get tags. Truth be told you can kill a bigger moose in Maine and NB but good luck getting a tag.

KJH

WKR

This is very doable if there is no guide involved... I'm saying outfitted with basic camp gear, food, and bush flights, but hunting purely on your own. If you bring your own gear and food its even more doable. You have to plan well and do your research.

Once you get a guide involved, you need to consider their time (premium during that time of year), expenses, and possibly twice the number of flights so I can't see this being possible with a guide for $10k.

I've never hunted moose outside of AK, but getting meat home isn't as terrible as people think... depending on your method. If Alaska Airlines flies to your home city its much easier than if they don't.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
This is very doable if there is no guide involved... I'm saying outfitted with basic camp gear, food, and bush flights, but hunting purely on your own. If you bring your own gear and food its even more doable. You have to plan well and do your research.

Once you get a guide involved, you need to consider their time (premium during that time of year), expenses, and possibly twice the number of flights so I can't see this being possible with a guide for $10k.

I've never hunted moose outside of AK, but getting meat home isn't as terrible as people think... depending on your method. If Alaska Airlines flies to your home city its much easier than if they don't.

I'm looking at a guided hunt now out of Edmonton for about $9k plus flights. 40''-50'' range of moose and that would be flying the meat home with me.