Best States to Go Moose Hunting

Battleguy

Banned
The moose is the largest game animal in the United States, and as management practices have allowed the population to grow, hunting moose has become an increasingly popular challenge.

According to me, Alaska is by far the best state for moose hunting. Second place belongs to Maine, and after that you might look at Idaho and Washington. Moose hunting is expensive wherever you go, costing thousands of dollars and sometimes exceeding $20,000. Permission to hunt moose is usually alloted through a drawing. Applications must be made months in advance, and it may take years before you win a chance to hunt.

Please let me know which is the best states for moose hunting according to you guys.

KJH

WKR
I love hunting moose. I can't see myself ever doing it anywhere other than Alaska... Alaska is the best for me for a lot of reasons. States that I know have a moose season of some sort: Maine, Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Washington, Montana, Utah, Colorado, and Idaho.

I’ve only hunted moose in AK, so that’s my favorite place to hunt them. Not a state, but the Yukon also has some excellent moose hunting, with a good population and some very large critters to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only speak to the two states I have moose experience. Taking Alaska for obvious reasons and I would put ND over Maine for the #2 spot. Most people don't know much about it because it's only open to residents. The population is thriving, the logistics are as easy as a moose hunt gets, and its very feasible to drop a 50 inch bull; usually in a spot you can drive right up to it.

I worked at the CWD/TB moose check-in station for a couple years in ND and most bulls were between 45-55 inches. They are Canadian moose so anything over 55 is pretty rare and a monster. One of my best friends drew the ND tag this year and has already sent me about 10 different bulls in that 45-55 range that are on his hit list.

Trial153

WKR
1st) Alaska
2nd ) any other state that awards you a tag

Or just go to Canada and kill a moose...

N Corey

FNG
Washington has some nice Shiras but biggest in the lower 48 I don’t think so.