Mackenzie Mountain Hunt Recap

buzzy

WKR
After 2 years of waiting the day was finally here to take off to Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters. I was the successful bidder for a caribou hunt at SCI 2 years ago. Talking to Stan he allowed me to add a moose and some extra days. Travel from the bay area to Norman Wells went very smoothly.

We arrived in Norman Wells on time and collected our gear. All 9 guys were awesome to share camp with. It was fun landing on the lake and seeing how the past hunters did. Four guys were going to hunt from camp for caribou, 4 were spiking out and then there was me as I was the only moose/caribou hunter in camp.

Stan flew me out last with my guide Ryan via helicopter. We were put into a valley where a large moose had been seen a few weeks earlier. Setting up camp went quickly and we only got a few minutes to glass before it was time to turn in. Waking up in the AM was easy and the plan was to climb to a lookout point on the other side of a large valley to search for moose. Ryan wanted to take a look before leaving camp and his eagle eyes spotted a bull 4.5-5 miles away. Seeing paddles from this distance we knew he was a good bull.

We take off down the stream bank and run into a carbiou but not a shooter. We continue on until it was time to start to head up the hillside and thru that rough tundra they have there. About half way there we stop and get the spotter on him. Definitely a shooter that had 4 cows with him. He was bedded in the same area we saw him earlier.

We continue on and after about 3 hours we are close. Ryan has me get my gun ready and we start to move slowly in the thigh high brush. Suddenly a cow has us pinned. Then a second cow stands up and then a third and they are all staring at us. They turn to walk away and the big boy stands up.

I was quick to get on the shooting sticks and knew he was 125-150 yards away. My .338RUM barks and the moose doesn't even flinch. I cycle the boat and let another round go. Again, nothing. The last bullet is fired and Ryan says I'm missing. He's trying to calm me down as I still have plenty of time as the bull is now 200 yards but moving away quickly.

I can't believe what I'm seeing and start to reach for more ammo in my pocket. Then the bull topples over. All 3 hit in an10" diameter circle right in the boiler room and that big boy sucked up the lead. I'm shooting a 300 grain SMK bullet and it didn't even make him flinch.

As I walked up to the old warrior I was stunned at his enormous size. He was an older bull that had a lot of mass. Took pictures and it started to snow. It was a surreal feeling with this beautiful moose on the ground, the amazing views and a slight snow coming down. I couldn't have pictured it more perfectly. We found a place close by where Stan could get the chopper in to pick up the meat. Ryan worked hard to get the bull cleaned and meat separated out quickly and then we sat down for a lunch of noodles.

Heading back to camp and I can't come close to keeping up with Ryan who probably has 120lbs on his back with the head/antlers and other gear he brought. The walking sticks save me big time on some of the river crossings as I almost went swimming. Even being in the best shape I've been in I'm struggling on the trek out. Hell, how can I be complaining with what Ryan is doing??

Finally getting closer to camp and my knees start to bark pretty good. I know I need a knee replaced but my good knee is killing me. Stumble into camp around 6:00 with Ryan saying Stan in on the way, we need to get camp broke down. The first day in the field and I'm done with a 63" or bigger moose. Not exactly sure as we cut the horns off at the bases.

Took the next day off to rest and at the main lodge and saw a couple of the camp hunters who tagged out already. On Tuesday Stan flies us out to camp where 2 hunters tagged out. Camp was already set up so we settle in to look over the landscape.

Next morning we set out after a herd a few miles off. My knees are hurting quickly walking on that clump grass. Again struggling to keep up with Ryan. We finally get to the herd but accidentally spook them by not seeing a bull close by. We try to find the herd again but they are gone.

Walking back to camp and we see a small herd by camp walking towards us. We get closer and the wind is on our side. Settle up to some brush and they feed 125 yards out front. I liked the way this one looked so I took him and my first Mountain Caribou is on the ground. We were back at the tent when a storm hit. Rained all night and then turned to snow. Woke up to a blanket of snow on the ground and beautiful mountains.

We could have hunted longer and may have been able to get a bigger bou. I was worried my knees weren't up for the task and I'm not the one to pass on something I would shoot on the last day so that was that.

The guys in camp all tagged out. Nobody got a wolf and I was the only moose hunter. Stan's guide and operations are top notch. His concession is rich in game and I hope to go back for sheep after having my knees worked on.

As a treat the northern lights made a showing on the last night. It was a bit chilly at -20 while taking pictures but worth every minute of it.

Trophies are in Edmonton where I'm getting euro mounts done. Can't wait to see them on the wall.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds amazing. -20 is no joke on a hunt. Thanks for sharing congratulations on a couple great bulls

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Congrats on a monster bull, sir. I really like the MacKenzie mountains...they are spectacularly beautiful and unique.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Great job, congrats! Love the white mane on the caribou.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mulecreek

FNG
Nicely done! Ryan is a badass mountain hunter for sure. That moose is awesome. Thanks for sharing your story.

Congrats. I hope you’re bees are better. What is the name of the outfitter you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk