Test

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I feel as though I'm dragging out this adventure a little too long and detailed so I do apologize. We spent 3 days at this location thrashing, grunting, and glassing from our overlook with no sighting or audible interactions. We felt that the fourth morning at this spot was as good as any to move downstream.
On a side note, core temperature on the hindquarters 3 days post-harvest was 42 degrees. I was tickled with this as the quarters developed a dull glaze appearance and it took effort to pop the meat thermometer into them.
The trim meat was cool, but as those of you in the know are aware, more difficult to dry as all of the folds needed constant attention.

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
We traveled approximately 2 miles downstream constantly pulling over to all gravel bars looking for fresh sign. We found it. From prey. And predators.View attachment 80411Screenshot_20181008-143909_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I really dislike interrupting this great story, but is everyone able to view the attachments? I cannot view most of them. Apology and thanks. Carry on!

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having difficulty with this as well as I desperately want others to relate to the pictures. I started going back to earlier posts and adding pictures a different way. Jpeg files seem to work better than others. My apologies as I'll try to get this issue resolved for a better story. Anyone with advice please dont hesitate to chime in

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
For 2 1/2 days we thrashed and called from this location. With no sounds or sights to give us hope we began to feel that our lack of hygiene maybe giving us away. Fresh sign or not, we knew from previous hunters that the upper portion of our float was where we were to concentrate our efforts. Seeing signs of frayed trees kept us grounded in something happening here but it wasn't meant to be.

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
We decided to play the grass is greener game and move downstream. We came upon a high bank overlook that allowed good visibility up and down from camp. A slough ran north of camp off of the river and beavers had made it their playground. After setting up camp and the 3rd post harvest meat cache we started burning our trash to reduce volume. After the fire had burned out, we picked through the debris to gather up the non-combustibles and spread the ashes out. An hour before dark a bull aggressively responded to scraping and grunting by putting on his own display of tree removal. Only coming in so far but not allowing a visual saved this bull's hide. We quietly eased back to camp only to hear a different bull thrashing behind our tipi. Nervous hunters we were that evening not knowing if we would be trampled in a pinscher maneuver. Light rain splattered the tipi as we tried to hear what was beyond the annoying sounds of liner wind flap

View attachment 80439Screenshot_20181008-150232_Gallery.jpg

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
We woke the following morning with no visual or audible response. What was noticed in this day was a slight ammonia smell from the trim meat. At the last camp, I had previously trimmed and estimated 20-30 pounds of fat, connective tissue, bullet damage, and a thorough debris removal of blood, hair, and sand from the river. After this cleanup I applied the first of many applications of citric acid spray to the trim meat. I did not apply it to the quarters.
After the citric acid application I tried in vain to dry the meat back out but the lack of air combined with higher temps and humidity squelched my efforts. I contacted our Air Transporter to let them know, as I wasn't trying to hide anything. They asked if we planned on coming out early and I said we were @ 3 days out to the take-out. After our Sat phone conversation I had a sick feeling about how the meat would fare throughout the duration of our float.

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
We moved downstream to an area that was estimated to be a days float to the takeout. As we arrived and began establishing camp splashing and grunting was heard behind camp. I thrashed and grunted as my buddy took off to intercept. After 20-30 mins I heard the rifle crack followed by the distinct sound of a bullet hitting flesh. A warhoop gave me the indication that meat hauling duties were again sure to ensue!

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
This only being our 2nd bull dismembered, we were able to do it in 4 1/2 hrs. After paddling the last load to the distant trees in the final pic, we cached the meat overnight for an early morning retrieval.

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
After the meat retrieval the next morning we set out for the take-out. We were warned that the later half of the float was slow, but nothing compared to experiencing it firsthand. The current was non-existent. The wind blew from the south thwarting our southerly descent. Our GPS showed that we were 8.25 miles from take-out, as the crow flies. It took us 9 1/2 hours to make it. I could try to explain it, but dont have the words.
Relieved to have made our destination I immediately called the Transporter to let them know of our reaching the take-out. Surprisingly, I was told that an aircraft was headed out way and would be there in 30 mins! We hurried to unload the rafts of meat and gear, deflate the rafts and prep for civilization. Before we could begin deflating the rafts, a dull whine was heard in the distance...de plane!

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
We loaded the Beaver with gear, meat, and tired bodies to relive this adventure over and over again in our minds. I can say that I was glad to be one step closer to home. But I also had a sense of sadness and remorse for leaving a place that 3 weeks earlier was still a dream to me. We were going home! And it felt good to have experienced Alaska!View attachment 80527Screenshot_20181009-180955_Gallery.jpg

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Now to the ending of our trip. The following day an Alaskan State Trooper came to inspect my meat. He asked me to step into his vehicle, and went over our hunt details. I was honest and forthright in how we handled everything. Showing the officer the 4 different meat caches, telling of the repeated citric acid applications, and the amount of trimmed meat trying to thwart spoilage bacteria from gaining a foothold. The officer told me that we had done a good job catching the meat, and that we were dealing with abnormal temperatures for this time of year. He told me that he didn't feel that we were careless hunters, and that in hindsight we should have left earlier. He determined that @ 100 lbs of trim meat was not fit for human consumption. Upon that he recommended a $3000 fine and a year of hunting and fishing privileges lost. I've been in contact with the local district attorney up there and my tele-court date is set for October 15.
Do I want to talk about all of this with people I dont know? No. I dont want to talk about this with people I do know. But its life and if someone can take away something from this and learn from it, it's worth it to me. I've longed for the moments we shared on that river. The absolute best adventure I've experienced. And please dont misunderstand me, I was fully aware going into this hunt that Alaska game laws are the strictest laws that I know. I accept responsibility for the 100 lb loss of meat on my watch. But I ask those of you that dream of a hunt such as this to ask yourself, and those who would go with you, when should a hunt be called off? Its difficult. Because the guy sitting across from you paid admission too. I couldn't say it. I thought it. But putting myself in the others shoes, it didn't feel right. Again, please dont misunderstand me, my responsibility for my action. I fully accept it. But know that any of you could be faced with a similar situation. Talking about it prior to happening could only make it easier.
Fire away with any questions. I'll answer as soon as I can.

Mike7

WKR
Great story and pics, thanks.

Interesting dilemma that you bring up. That fine seems a little harsh to me though?...Given the unpredictable temps, your clear pre-trip preparation, and your attention to the meat during the trip, would that really be consided intentional negligent waste? Would that meat have faired any better if you got out of there a couple of days earlier?

Oh well, really good information to consider for those of us considering a similar trip in the future.

rayporter

WKR
you had me hook line and sinker all the way.

but darn what a turn of events.

34 years ago my pard and i each shot and elk and the following year we did that again. after that we decided no matter what we would get one out before the other guy shot another. we just rolled that way.

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Mike, my understanding is that it wasn't intentional negligent waste. It simply wasn't fit for human consumption. The officer I dealt with was very professional and I wasn't made to feel belittled in the incident. Would getting out a day or two earlier have made a difference? I'm not sure. The meat was not confiscated but the rack was. I had a lawyer in Bethel tell me that the meat should have been seized. Regardless, I'm not going to pay 2-3 times more money than the fine to leave it up to a jury to decide. It spoiled on my watch and I take responsibility. I just wanted others to mull over such a scenario that could potentially play out in the future

AKBorn

WKR
Mike, my understanding is that it wasn't intentional negligent waste. It simply wasn't fit for human consumption. The officer I dealt with was very professional and I wasn't made to feel belittled in the incident. Would getting out a day or two earlier have made a difference? I'm not sure. The meat was not confiscated but the rack was. I had a lawyer in Bethel tell me that the meat should have been seized. Regardless, I'm not going to pay 2-3 times more money than the fine to leave it up to a jury to decide. It spoiled on my watch and I take responsibility. I just wanted others to mull over such a scenario that could potentially play out in the future

The lawyer in Bethel might have a slightly slanted perspective. They probably always seize the meat for Wanton Waste violations, but it sounds like you were not cited for Wanton Waste. Good on you for trying to do everything you could. Since you were floating a smallish river, I am assuming there weren't really any opportunities to have the transporter pick the meat up early and continue your float hunt?

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
AKBorn, I did check with the Transporter about an alternate pickup earlier and it wasn't an option. I asked, and was told there was only one take out point. We knew this before being dropped off and I didn't expect to be an exception to their rule