Test

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for sharing! This isn't really helpful, but I now know what I'm doing if I'm ever in a similar situation where I feel I did everything I could. I'm getting out my stove and cooking up a post hunt meal. I've risked getting food poisoning for a lot less.

In all seriousness though, did the warden give you recommendations of what you should have done different? I think you mentioned by day 3 after harvest you were already noticing signs on the meat and by my math you were a 3 day float out so even if you had packed up immediately and left there was no guarantee that the meat would be ok? What happens if the transporter isn't able to come in early like he did and you had to sit for the additional 3 days at the end waiting for your original pickup date? Are you in the clear then - with probably even more spoiled meat? So

I have never hunted Alaska so forgive my ignorance, but it seems to me there are so many variables in this case and the determination of the warden is highly subjective.

To follow up, I guess Alaska is pretty clear on this (and I answered a bunch of my own questions), found this after a google search on a sign:

Don't shoot it if you can't pack it out.
Don't shoot early into a long hunt or float, or in warm weather
Plan carefully with your guide or transporter...
a delayed pick-up is not an excuse for letting meat spoil.
Bad weather is not an excuse for bad meat - care for it properly
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/research/plans/pdfs/unit23_wasting_meat_poster.pdf

To follow up, I guess Alaska is pretty clear on this (and I answered a bunch of my own questions), found this after a google search on a sign:

Don't shoot it if you can't pack it out.
Don't shoot early into a long hunt or float, or in warm weather
Plan carefully with your guide or transporter...
a delayed pick-up is not an excuse for letting meat spoil.
Bad weather is not an excuse for bad meat - care for it properly
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/research/plans/pdfs/unit23_wasting_meat_poster.pdf

blutooth is correct. Alaska is pretty clear on this and that adfg link spells it out pretty bluntly.

I know everyone wants to Monday Quarterback this, but you have to understand that spoiled meat is a common and frustrating issue on these types of trips. People book 10 day drop hunts, shoot a moose/caribou early, and it simply doesn't make it back in good condition. Piles of spoiled meat show up at the hub villages every year and the locals hate it. The Troopers can and clearly will slap you hard, simply to get the word out that this isn't acceptable. I appreciate the OP detailing how it happened, including the unsuccessful efforts he went too to try forestall the issue. It's an excellent "lessons learned" account that shows how difficult meat care on an extended hunt can be.

For people reading this and planning future hunts, the concept is simple. Once you have an animal down, the focus needs to be on getting it out in good condition. That's all there is too it. Nobody cares about the other tags in camp or how long the hunt was supposed to be.

keller

WKR
congrats on a great hunt and adventure. sounds like it was everything you dreamed except one thing. its very unfortunate about the meat many ifs and maybes.this situation puts a whole new scenario into perspective for those thinking about this adventure.not sure if I missed this somewhere along the line but how did the trooper become involved? was he called?was he checking more because of the warm weather? game check station?.... is it normal for a trooper to inspect everyones meat...

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
not sure if I missed this somewhere along the line but how did the trooper become involved? was he called?was he checking more because of the warm weather? game check station?.... is it normal for a trooper to inspect everyones meat...

There are a handful of bush communities around the state that are hubs for hunters, and it’s not unusual to run into a trooper there. They travel by plane, helo, boat, four wheeler, snow machine, etc. They can and will drop in on you anywhere in the state, even in your hunting camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I am sorry this happened; you are obviously someone responsible who cares.

My free advice so take it for what it’s worth. Seek a deal where you plead no contest, it’s reduced to a violation, and you get it behind you ASAP. The sooner this is over the sooner you can move past the mental pain of this.

I expect that if you fight it the troopers will charge you with a misdemeanor, threaten jail time, loss of hunting privileges, and a huge fine. It’s my observation that they bully people into pleading no contest.

I am shocked he let you keep the rest of the meat and the rack. Fight this and they will probably threaten to come after the rack and your rifle/gear. We all make mistakes, get this behind you and move on.

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
Just a note that they auction confiscated horns at a hide and horns auction in February at the fur rondy in anchorage. Not sure of costs or whether you can buy your own back.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for sharing your story...you told it well, sir.

We are always learning in life, and I think that you have given pause for thought to many who have read your story.

I just want to sincerely say that I greatly appreciate and respect your genuine expression of ownership and responsibility. I think it is a sign of true character. I hope it all works out well for you, and (as someone born and raised in Illinois), I truly wish you well.

Mike7

WKR
This whole story is definitely good food for thought, but I think that when troopers behave in an over the top way and punish someone to this level (someone who is trying to do all of the right things) in order to make an example out of them, that it often ends up having an unintended effect.

After hearing this story, I would seriously consider leaving trim meat in the field as "unedible portions", if it might be questionable whether I could save it due to being blood shot, having river water exposure with warm temps, etc.

It's like why people don't report grizzly bear self defense shootings...when historically your presumed guilty from the get go.

After hearing this story, I would seriously consider leaving trim meat in the field as "unedible portions", if it might be questionable whether I could save it due to being blood shot, having river water exposure with warm temps, etc.

If you think he got dinged for spoiled meat, just try explaining why you don't have the whole moose. Every time I've been checked by a Trooper, they have gone over the inventory of what I brought out, particularly checking for neck and rib meat. If I'm missing something, they want to know why.

For those that didn't click on the link, this is distributed by ADF&G. Real, real clear.

atemvN7.jpg

Note it specifically says DON'T SHOOT EARLY ON A LONG FLOAT HUNT

It's almost like this happens every year.

This was an easily avoided situation. Once the OP had a moose down, he needed to get on down the river pronto instead of spending a week chasing a second moose for his partner. I think he clearly recognizes that now and owns up to it. Tough call to make when you don't have a lot of remote float trip experience, so he shared his story with those that might be planning similar trips. Troopers were just doing their job.

There are a handful of bush communities around the state that are hubs for hunters, and it’s not unusual to run into a trooper there. They travel by plane, helo, boat, four wheeler, snow machine, etc. They can and will drop in on you anywhere in the state, even in your hunting camp.

Yup, for sure. The only time I've ever been checked by a state trooper is once when I was on a fly-out float trip about an hour flight northeast of Kotz on a remote river. The trooper was using a super cub and landed on the little gravel bar that we were camped on.

Just a note that they auction confiscated horns at a hide and horns auction in February at the fur rondy in anchorage. Not sure of costs or whether you can buy your own back.

You can bid on your own stuff at the auction. A buddy of mine killed a brown bear (DLP), and was able to get the high bid at the Fur Rondy auction a few years back.

AKBorn

WKR
I'm not a float hunter, so just wondering out loud....would smoking the loose trim meat if you shoot a moose early on a float hunt be onw way to keep it from spoiling? Anyone ever try this?

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for sharing your story and sorry that it ended up this way. I hunted out of Bethel too this year and with the temps I can sure see how it could happen. We had a drop camp and the pilots were able to get each of our moose out the day after we harvested them which we were very thankful for.

OP
R

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for your comments and thoughts on this subject. I never sought pity, advice, arguments, etc... on this story. I simply posted such as a lesson for others to potentially learn from and not make decisions that I chose. I wanted to give an update on my court hearing today. The trooper involved felt that by my compliance and acceptance of responsibility in this case that reducing such to a $500 fine with no suspension of privileges or probation. After paying the fine today,they are also releasing the rack back to me rather than going to auction in February. I am very humbled and feel blessed about this outcome. I can say that the judge felt that in my case that honesty and my acceptance of responsibility played a role in this incident and their judgement. Again, I hope those reading this can take away something positive and apply such in a similar instance. Thank you all for reading my story and hope it makes for thoughtful discussion

That's a much better outcome. Glad it got better for you. Was the hearing mandatory or could you have accepted the fine and suspension of $3k?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bmrfish

WKR
Glad to hear. Did you make a trip to the hearing?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
This is a great ending to your well told story, and I am very glad to hear it. We all make mistakes in life...all of us.

As I emphasized in an earlier post, I greatly appreciated your strength of character in complete acceptance of ownership and responsibility as you told the story, and as it turned out, the trooper and judge respected your character as well.

Again...very well done sir!!