Hunting partner needed

Buck2747

FNG
Looking for hunting partner for Alaska moose hunt. Planning to hunt diy moose in 2020 or 2021. Was planning for 2020 but buddy backed out at time of booking so pushed hunt now to 2021. Estimated hunt cost 12-14k let me know if you are inter stead and we can begin final planning.

AKBorn

WKR
Should be able to get a DIY hunt for a lot less than that. I don't scrimp on extra gear and other costs, and my partners can usually get it done for about 5-7k.

OP
B

Buck2747

FNG
I am open to more options to reduce costs the 12-14k was a worse than case that I worked up .. airfare, tag, license, bush flight, food, hotel before and after flights, additional meat flight if needed, taxidermy, meat storage, meat transport. I have never done a hunt like this so I am open to any guigance you are willing to offer.

AKBorn

WKR
I am open to more options to reduce costs the 12-14k was a worse than case that I worked up .. airfare, tag, license, bush flight, food, hotel before and after flights, additional meat flight if needed, taxidermy, meat storage, meat transport. I have never done a hunt like this so I am open to any guigance you are willing to offer.

Shoot me an email at [email protected], would be happy to help you build up a rough cost baseline.

KJH

WKR
Should be able to get a DIY hunt for a lot less than that. I don't scrimp on extra gear and other costs, and my partners can usually get it done for about 5-7k.

This. Even if you have a long way to travel spending more than $7k would be hard to do unless you have a special place in mind thats really hard to get to. This is from multiple experiences from the lower 48.

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
interested in this for sure. Planning my own DIY with just hiring a air service out into the bush. I’m going 2019 though. No way I can wait that long to get back to Alaska.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Good luck with the planning and the hunt. My only piece of advice is to be VERY critical of who you agree to do this with. Something like this is not for the faint of heart and/or someone that is gonna wanna throw in the towel and go home on day 3 when the going gets tough.

Keep us posted!

Herbie03

FNG
I'm in the planning (starting to think about it) stages of a 2020 AK DIY archery moose hunt. I don't have a hunt partner yet. I'm guessing it's pretty dumb to go solo. (?)

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m wanting to do a 2020 trip and looking for a partner but would like to do it a little more economical... interested

AKBorn

WKR
I'm in the planning (starting to think about it) stages of a 2020 AK DIY archery moose hunt. I don't have a hunt partner yet. I'm guessing it's pretty dumb to go solo. (?)

Unless you’re an absolute beast or a glutton for punishment, at least one partner would be good. An adult bull moose will weigh in the neighborhood of 1000 – 1400 pounds live weight, and you will be packing somewhere between 500 – 800 pounds of meat, bone, antlers, and cape back to your camp, AFTER spending several hours field dressing and quartering it. Moose can die in some pretty tough spots, and they typically like boggy brushy terrain that is tough to walk in, let alone carry a pack with 100+ pounds in it. Find a buddy if you can.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m wanting to do a 2020 trip and looking for a partner but would like to do it a little more economical... interested

You and Herbie (the post above yours) are both from St. Louis it looks like, you guys should get together and talk...

Isn’t there a website where you can put up your profile and pictures while you search for your perfect moose hunting partner? Or am I thinking of something else.....

AKBorn

WKR
Pm'd raypo.
Thanks AKBorn. Might continue to use you as a source of info if you don't mind?

Happy to help if I can. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if that's easier.

FYI that there are guys here (KDill and VernAK to name a couple) with lots more pure AK moose hunting experience. While I have hunted AK moose several times and have been fortunate to harvest one on occasion, I am far from an expert in my mind. Where I can potentially help most is in planning and logistics, I have been traveling to AK to hunt since 2002, so I have had plenty of time to identify mistakes and improve on past efforts. I am also told that I am a little anal retentive, so I enjoy thinking about small details that some might consider a pain in the derriere. :)