Newfoundland Moose - Drive In Outfitter Recommendations

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a Moose & Bear Outfitter up in Newfoundland that I could drive into camp. Well aware that the chances of larger bulls will be lower than spike camps that you are flown into, but not terribly interested in the size of the rack (more interested in the experience and the meat).

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Looking for something in the 2022-23 time line, if that narrows things down.

Bama Van

FNG
Looking for a Moose & Bear Outfitter up in Newfoundland that I could drive into camp. Well aware that the chances of larger bulls will be lower than spike camps that you are flown into, but not terribly interested in the size of the rack (more interested in the experience and the meat).

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Looking for something in the 2022-23 time line, if that narrows things down.

Caribou Pond , I have hunted with them 5 times , they have a drive in camp ( ATV's for the final stretch to main camp , boat to spike camp) I have harvested 3 moose (bulls all 3 -11 points) 1- Caribou-22 point and one trip I passed on 5- moose trying to kill a bigger one. Great outfit, always have an awesome experience and they kill some very nice trophy moose in their area. Mike and Boyce are great people and my last guide Tony is awesome. They are in the Gander/Lewsiporte area.

stevevan

WKR
Pius Besaw, Besaw's Log Cabin Outfitters. They offer both hunts from a drive in lodge or trophy hunt with a helicopter to a spike camp. I did the fly in last year and came home with a dandy 22 pt. - 51"wide bull. During my hunt time the guys (6 hunters) that hunted from the lodge went 5 for 6. All bulls and as you stated smaller bulls. Hunter that didn't score had his chances but I think the trip for him was more about have a good time each evening at camp. Staff, food, acomodations all met my standards. I would hunt with them again. Yes, I have experience with outfitters as this was around my 12th guided hunt.

wadej223

FNG
I returned from the rock this past Saturday. My hunt was with A1 Hunts in the Twin Lakes region. I managed to harvest a 6 point bull and black bear. My guide was great. He kept me engaged after tagging out by showing me his home town and ruffled grouse hunting. The camp went 6/7 on bulls. 5/6 had smaller racks with one dandy 12 point. The lodge and equipment were brand new and top of the line. The hunt was not super physical and would be great for people of any age/shape. Remote hunting areas are accessed via side by side. Once you arrive at the area, you walk in, set up and call. The food was good. I would not go as far as calling it gourmet. The best time to go is week three or four. From what I understand most of the bulls harvested are 6-10 points with some really nice ones sprinkled in. Pictures of my animals (including bacon wrapped grouse) are below.

81673.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0079.jpg
    IMG-0079.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-0075.jpg
    IMG-0075.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 103

717jeeper

FNG
Lake Douglas was great for our crew in October. If you plan on a late October hunt you want to be stalking and not sitting with a call. Lake Douglas hunts two units or sections. I was in the section that was 1.5 hours from the main lake Douglas lodge. We were actually hunting in an area that had some fly in hunters because it was that remote. From the ferry I think it was an 8 hour drive in to the main lodge.

I will also state that make sure if you are driving to take the moose with your or it will cost about $500 to ship it back to the US not including meat processing.

I am in the process of getting my meat shipped back here to the US. I am going to be close to $500 in the shipping and processing cost. I ended up having to fly there due to time constraints. I just didn't have the 4 additional vacation days that I needed to travel and had to figure that time into the equation. In the long run I may have ended up ahead a bit due to the flight by saving on hotels, ferry rides, gas, etc. If I had to do it again, I would probably drive though because it would be a little more of an adventure. Another thing to keep in mind is the flexibility you have with a vehicle. Since I was lucky to tag out on the 3rd day, I ended up having to re-book my flight. If I had my truck, I would've been able to hit the road whenever I wanted too. Regardless of your transportation choice, its going to be a fun adventure for sure!

717jeeper

FNG
I am in the process of getting my meat shipped back here to the US. I am going to be close to $500 in the shipping and processing cost. I ended up having to fly there due to time constraints. I just didn't have the 4 additional vacation days that I needed to travel and had to figure that time into the equation. In the long run I may have ended up ahead a bit due to the flight by saving on hotels, ferry rides, gas, etc. If I had to do it again, I would probably drive though because it would be a little more of an adventure. Another thing to keep in mind is the flexibility you have with a vehicle. Since I was lucky to tag out on the 3rd day, I ended up having to re-book my flight. If I had my truck, I would've been able to hit the road whenever I wanted too. Regardless of your transportation choice, its going to be a fun adventure for sure!

Wow you got quite a deal if it is costing you $500 in shipping and meat processing.

Also, to the OP make sure you get a cabin on the ferry you will not regret it. On our way over we had some bad weather and the ferry was postponed until the following morning, however they loaded the ferry the night before and left the next day at 7 am or so. If we didn't have a cabin it would have been a pretty bad night considering we had already been in the truck for 24 hours. We were concerned about what we would do if the ferry were canceled until 11 am the next morning but fortunately for us we had a cabin on the ferry and a nice place to rest for the night.

Wow you got quite a deal if it is costing you $500 in shipping and meat processing.

Also, to the OP make sure you get a cabin on the ferry you will not regret it. On our way over we had some bad weather and the ferry was postponed until the following morning, however they loaded the ferry the night before and left the next day at 7 am or so. If we didn't have a cabin it would have been a pretty bad night considering we had already been in the truck for 24 hours. We were concerned about what we would do if the ferry were canceled until 11 am the next morning but fortunately for us we had a cabin on the ferry and a nice place to rest for the night.

I second this tip. That is exactly what some people told me too do before I decided to fly. There was a kid in camp with us who drove a hopped up jeep all the way to NF and said by the time he got to the ferry he was exhausted. He ended up getting one of the last rooms available. Do it before you go and you will not have any regrets!

PA Hunter

WKR
I have been to Newfoundland three times with Roberts Outfitting Deer Lake hunting Rex Lake. I am 3 for 3 so far and going again 2020. Try to pick the rut end September very early October. Don’t expect trophy moose like Alaska but they have plenty. Drive up if you can and get a ferry Cabin great vacation great people.

DaHardy

FNG
I have been to Newfoundland three times with Roberts Outfitting Deer Lake hunting Rex Lake. I am 3 for 3 so far and going again 2020. Try to pick the rut end September very early October. Don’t expect trophy moose like Alaska but they have plenty. Drive up if you can and get a ferry Cabin great vacation great people.

I've spoken with Annie about a future moose hunt. She had room in the Chain Lakes camp for when we are looking to come. You've hunted Rex Lake but do you know anything of the other camp for moose hunting?

PA Hunter

WKR
If your going to Chain Lakes they road hunt allot maybe by ATV or truck that camp has a much bigger area. They produce just dont have visions of a 50 inch Alaskan moose rack.