New moose rifle? .300 WM vs .338 WM

I hunted a lot with a couple 300wsm and a 7mm08 when I lived in AK and took moose and black bears easily with the 300 and the 7-08.
I had a 7 1/2 lb all up 300wsm in a “hunters edge” stock, no break, never have had one never will- and it cured me of both magnums and that stock pattern. How that ends up being such a popular pattern I’ll never know.

Anyway 308 shooting 180s maxes me out in a 7 - 7 1/2lb rifle. And it needs to be in a bansner, a KS, a Montana a NULA, AG “CAT” or other stock with geometry that moves the recoil away from you face and has enough comb height to be able to get behind the scope with a solid cheek weld instead of perching your chin on it or against it....

If I was going big nowadays I’d be looking at 9lbs and it’d be 338win with 20-22” barrel

Or a 338-06 configured similarly

Nothing wrong with adding a different .30-06 if you just have the itch to buy a rifle, or want a shorter/lighter/different one. I don’t like heavy recoil and the .300 WM only has practical gains when shooting the high BC 200+ grain bullets at longer range.

I hate having a ton of cartridges to buy ammo or reload for. I’m setting up pairs of .223’s, 6.5 Creedmoors, and .30-06’s for different purposes. Those choices are based on factory availability before the .260, .264 mag, .280 guys chime in.

717jeeper

FNG
Your 30-06 will suit you well. I hunted this October in Newfoundland for moose. I took my 308 with a Barnes 168 grain tsx. The gun did fine on a cow at 215 yards it dropped. My brother took a bull with his 30-06 while in a canoe. I know you have some time, but I had planned on taking a 7mm-mag and I could not get it to shoot as well as I would like. Therefore I decided to take the lighter 308 kimber classic. I am happy with my decision especially considering the fact that the bogs will wear you out and carrying a heavier rifle that you have less experience with is probably not the best decision. But get your 300 win mag and keep shooting the 30-06 in case you decide to go with it instead. Best of luck in your hunting prep.

I have an Xbolt composite stalker in .338 Win. It’s taken a beating and keeps coming back for more. Shooting it is a bit like learning to kiss and getting punched in the mouth at the same time. However, the more I shoot it the more comfortable I get with it.
I’ve taken a few Canadian moose with it and one elk, all with Barnes 225gr TTSX, they all died.
That being said I’ve shot several elk and a couple of moose with a .280 Remington, they also died.
I do love the .338 Win, with no real basis for it outside of the fact that I consider it a bit of a classic medium bore that gets the job done across North America in the right rifleman’s hands. Maybe a little romance here? I’d sure be keen to try a Kimber Montana chambered it in as a few others have mentioned here.
The reality is it’s pretty tough to go wrong with either the .300 or .338 win, they just plain get it done.
b86a6e4cbc3385c0dab226b91fd3849b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, hopefully ya'll Can help me think this through. I'm looking at purchasing a new Kimber Montana in either .300WM or .338WM for an AK moose hunt.

I have a 30-06 that is capable, but it not a gun I get the warm fuzzies over and I want to buy a new rifle. So I will.

What are your thoughts on the .300WM vs a .338WM? I feel the .300WM is a little redundant with my 30-06 so I'm leaning towards the .338.

Both have listed weights of 6lbs 13oz and come with 26" barrels (I'd be tempted to cut either down to 23-24")

No intentions of using a brake or shooting it a ton at the range, and I'm not sensitive to recoil. I don't want to shoot long range, 400yd max, probably much closer if at all possible.

It will probably be topped with a VX-6 2-12x42 (or something similar) in talley rings (bad ring choice for a big mag?). So it would likely be an ~8lb gun with scope. I've read the Kimber has good stock geometry and a good recoil pad which I know is very important for how recoil is felt. I've shot my father's .340 weatherby mag in a rifle that is probably about the same weight and it's stout but tolerable.

I wish Barrett made the Fieldcraft in magnums. It would be 1st on my list.

Thanks in advance.

Between the two I'd take a 300 wsm and a 168gr TTSX. Nice thing about a 30-06 is that it will hold 6 150gr TTSx's :) I owned a kimber Montana in 300wsm that was VERY accurate and honestly didn't notice the difference between it and the 30-06.

Last edited:
Between the two I'd take a 300 wsm and a 168gr TTSX. Nice thing about a 30-06 is that it will hold 6 150gr TTSx's :) I owned a kimber Montana in 300wsm that was VERY accurate and honestly didn't notice the difference between it and the 30-06.

I’m just curious, you say “owned”, did you get rid of it, and if so, why? I have an older ‘05, Kimber Montana in the same chambering and it is one of my favorite rifles for accuracy and functionality, don’t see myself ever getting rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
I am a fan of both the .338 and the .300 WSM or Win Mag.

I prefer the .338 for elk and it’s a nice caliber to have if you ever think about hunting the big bears. I have had no recoil issues with my .338.

IMO the .375 is a bit of overkill for North American game, but that’s just me.

That said, moose die easy with good shot placement from just about any decent-sized caliber so your .30-06 would work just fine. They are unique in that nothing is likely to knock them flat but almost anything will kill them in short order.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
A RUGER m77 in ANY caliber kicks like a mule. Straight stock design makes them hurt you. A M77 in .223 caliber feels like a 270 win or 30-06. This is the reason all of mine are NO LONGER with me. They are awesome guns and very reliable but kick to dang much for me.

We’re talking about my three favorite cartridges. I love the .375 H&H, .338 win mag, and .300 win mag. While I believe all three would work for moose, my choice would be the .338.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
All this.338 talk makes me want to get mine out of the safe and shoot it. I haven’t shot it in probably 2 years.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I first moved to Ak I only had a 30-06. I picked up a bunch of 200g trophy bonded beer claws at sportsman’s warehouse and that’s all I really used for the next ~ 3 years. I shot some good moose, a pile of caribou and a beer with that rifle/bullet combo. I’d flor my raft out of the village I was living in, hunt for as long as I could then float back with the tide changes.

I like bigger cartridges these days for moose, they are huge and it’s nice to have some real horsepower to deal with them, also it’s nice to have something more powerful available when you are butchering in the dark.

AKBorn

WKR
A RUGER m77 in ANY caliber kicks like a mule. Straight stock design makes them hurt you. A M77 in .223 caliber feels like a 270 win or 30-06. This is the reason all of mine are NO LONGER with me. They are awesome guns and very reliable but kick to dang much for me.
I have a Ruger Model 77 S/S in .338 WinMag, with a 24 inch barrel. I wear a recoil pad when shooting a lot of rounds at the range, never seem to notice the recoil when shooting at animals. I will say this rifle seems to fit my frame better than any other rifle I have owned, that may help reduce the felt recoil a bit.

This is my favorite rifle by far, will only get rid of it when I am too old to hunt anymore...

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
AKBORN all I can say is you are one BAD MAN! LOL. I couldn't fathom squeezing the trigger on a M77 in a Unbraked 338 win. They are absolutely fine weapons and have owned a few. You are definitely right about the adrenaline under hunting scenario being able to feel recoil. I don't even think I remember hearing the MUZZLE blast. Funny how that works.

AKBorn

WKR
AKBORN all I can say is you are one BAD MAN! LOL. I couldn't fathom squeezing the trigger on a M77 in a Unbraked 338 win. They are absolutely fine weapons and have owned a few. You are definitely right about the adrenaline under hunting scenario being able to feel recoil. I don't even think I remember hearing the MUZZLE blast. Funny how that works.
No sir, I think I am just a regular guy with a rifle that really fits... :) Sometimes when its cold and dark in the winter, I will pull it out and practice quick-point scenarios at spots on the living room wall. That rifle points better than any shotgun I have owned, or maybe I was not the best with a shotgun. :)

I can't imagine shooting it with a brake, my ears hurt just thinking about it...

I used a 12 gauge pump slug gun for a few years hunting whitetails in Maryland, I never had any fun shooting that thing! That short barrel would jump every time I touched off.

cnelk

WKR
Ive shot 2 moose.

One was with my 340 WBY Mag and the other was with a 375 H&H.

The 300WM is nuthing more than a glorified '06 with a belt.

The .338 is getting it real

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

About 10 years ago I got a stainless Ruger Hawkeye all weather in 30-06, it’s never been a gun that I would consider unpleasant to shoot. In fact, it’s quite comfortable. That was the only rifle I had when I moved to AK and it dumped some great animals and went along on some pretty good adventures with me.

There really isn’t a wrong choice of the calibers mentioned, they will all get the job done, it’s a matter of personal preference. I’ve shot moose with my Ruger m77 in .338 and they died, but nowadays when I go moose hunting my Kimber Talkeetna in .375 is the gun I take. I prefer the .375 as every moose I’ve shot with it has gone less than 10 steps from where it was first hit saving me from having to cut them up or pack them out from somewhere worse than where I shot them.