Thoughts on some AK moose hunting dates

hunt1up

WKR
So three of us are doing an drop camp this coming September of 2019 in South Central AK. We are trying to decide which days to go. I'm supposed to let our transporter know pretty soon to get our dates on the calendar. The transporter suggested "any time after the 5th."

We'd be looking at roughly 9-10 days of hunting. So we're down to choosing something like the 7th-16th or something like the 14th-23rd. We can tweak those dates here and there obviously.

So, any suggestions for that part of the state? Thanks for any insight anyone might provide!

KJH

WKR
My preference is the later, the better. I like it when the bulls are really in the rut and you can call them better. I'm good with colder temps, some snow, and no biting insects.

I've never hunted the south central part of the state, so I can't say for sure where you're at.

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I'll echo what KJU said. My dad had hunted the last week of September for the last several years with pretty regular success. He's hunting out of Bethel but later is generally better.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
Later is typically better, especially if you're hunting south central - September can still be pretty warm, I think this fall was really warm. Moose typically don't move too much when it's warm...

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Check the Alaska hunting regulations for the GMU that you will be hunting. Some of the Southcentral areas close for moose on Sept 20th, some later.

Generally speaking, like others have said, later is better for the unit you will be hunting...not only do you increase the likelihood that the rut will be started (and bulls more likely to respond to your calls), but also post-kill meat care is much better.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys. You've all reaffirmed what we were pretty much leaning toward. I have a call with the transporter today so we'll get it set in stone.