Adventure of a Lifetime

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Where to even begin... It's been a month since returning from the hunt, but it still doesn't seem real. My dad hired a transporter to drop us and 55lbs of gear each into a remote portion of Alaska to chasing rutting bull moose. It was an adventure beyond anything I could have imagined and honestly one of the greatest experiences of my life. I got to spend 11 days and 10 nights with my dad in the wilderness of Alaska. Due to crappy weather, I also got to spend an additional 3 days and 2 nights on my own, for a grand total of 14 days and 13 nights!

I could write pages and attach hundreds of pictures, but will try and keep it short and sweet. My Dad harvested a gorgeous 58.5" bull on the second morning of the hunt at only 40 yards. It took us ~6 hours to butcher and debone the beast (I underestimated this part) and half of the next day to pack it the half mile to the top of the landing strip. We had a couple of tent bound days due to incredibly thick fog, rain and wind, so I only ended up getting to hunt around 2.5 days for my bull. Saw an absolute monster on the last morning, but due to swirling wind and thick fog, I wasn't able to get a shot off. While disappointed I didn't get to punch my tag, I now have an excuse to go back!

The transporter was able to get my dad and half of the moose out on the morning of September 22nd, but when he returned to pick me up the winds had picked up and he was unable to land. I ended up spending Friday and Saturday night alone, but luckily had an InReach to stay in contact with my wife, dad and the transporter. On the morning of the 24th, still unable to land, made a new landing strip 1.5 miles away and 1k feet above me. It was 9am when he shot me a text saying he'd be back to pick me and moose up at 4pm. I ended up doing about 12.5 miles total in 7 hours and arrived about 20 minutes before the pilot! Moving all of my gear and half the moose up that mountain was the physically most demanding thing I've ever done, but also one of my most proud accomplishments.

The memories I made are ones that I will cherish for rest of my life. Knowing that we'll never get to take another trip like this together, it was an incredibly emotional trip for both my dad. A gigantic "thank you" to everyone on here that gave me tips, advice and gear recommendations. I've already started to plant the seed with my wife for a return trip and strongly urge anyone that has the desire to pull the trigger and make it happen. Alaska is a place unlike anywhere I've ever been and somewhere that felt like home as soon as I arrived!

If anyone is working on planning their own trip or trying to figure out logistics, please reach out as I'm happy to help and will share as much information as I can!

Heath

oIAl80s.jpg

r1wbuLX.jpg

u3qHxnz.jpg

qpXVIn2.jpg

ZhEol98.jpg

0Dc7owy.jpg

UcnHRLI.jpg

YfsYyTz.jpg

Awesome pictures man! I just got back from what sounds like almost the exact same trip. Went with my dad for 12 days and he also ended up shooting a big bull. What part of AK were y'all in? Looks really similar to where we were south of Aniak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, what a wonderful experience you had with your father, and I think the two extra days to reflect, by yourself, will also be cherished, if they’re not already. Congratulations, and next time will be your opportunity. Beautiful pictures by the way!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
That will be truly a special place to visit as the memories there will be for a lifetime. Great story and hunt. Super cool

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t think anyone would complain if you threw up more pictures, just saying...

Great shots and a good story to go with it, well done!

Stwrt9

WKR
Man oh man am i envious!!! that is a bucket list trip for sure, Even better to be able to do it with your Dad. Happy for you thanks for sharing and i hope to one day be able to do this with my dad and brothers!!!

AdamW

WKR
Incredible. A moose hunt is something that has pulled at me ever since I was a kid. I used to think it was just unachievable for a kid from the midwest, but as I've rolled over in to my early 30s I'm starting to realize it is doable. The logistics scare me a bit admittedly. If I were to do any guided hunt, it would be for moose. But there's just something about the idea of doing it on my own that both yearns to and slightly terrifies me. Overwhelming a bit figuring out where to start!

JPD350

WKR
Congrats on the experience with your Dad, I did a fishing trip to Alaska with mine and to hear him talk about it years later is pretty cool.
More pics for sure!

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the comments everyone, it was and unbelievable experience to say the least and I feel pretty damn lucky to get to have gone with my dad! While the hunt wasn't "cheap" by any standard, it was way cheaper than doing a guided hunt. Hunting and calling moose is not difficult and in my opinion isn't something you need a guide for. Butchering the moose was by far the most difficult part, but again something you don't need a guide for.

I will definitely post up more pictures later today!

TXCO

WKR
Awesome!! Congrats on a great trip and time with your dad