IDAHO 1-3 Moose

Hey guys, new to to the Forum and new to North Idaho. Am looking at applying for a moose tag this year and was wondering if I could get some input on Unit 1-3. Just a general idea of what the terrain and access is like and what the moose numbers are like. I have mostly hunted unit 4 and 5 and haven't spent anytime in this particular unit. If drawn I would be able to spend some scouting time there this summer, just looking for some starting points. Thanks in advance.

coop2424

WKR
Personally from what I have heard and have seen the last 3-4 years any hunt for moose in unit 1 would be very far down my list. I run into them but they are not doing very well with predators from what I have seen. My neighbor had this tag 3 years ago and hunted it hard and filled his tag but said it wasn't a very good hunt.

OP
P
Personally from what I have heard and have seen the last 3-4 years any hunt for moose in unit 1 would be very far down my list. I run into them but they are not doing very well with predators from what I have seen. My neighbor had this tag 3 years ago and hunted it hard and filled his tag but said it wasn't a very good hunt.
Thanks for the response. I was curious because the draw odds have been 100% the last few years, even with very few tags offered.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I had the tag a few years ago (2012?) and thought it was great. They dropped the number of tags the next year, and then combined 1-3 and 1-4. It may not be what it was, but I bet you put some time and boots on the ground you would do just fine. I spent most of my time up Trestle Creek and Lightening Creek. It is beautiful country with great trails. Clark Fork and Sandpoint have lots of trappers that hit those areas pretty good.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I had the 1-4 tag, long season in 12. Saw 72 different bulls.

Hunted up there this year for mule deer hard, saw one bull in 12 days.

The fish and game need to cut tags or the Moose in unit 1 are in real trouble.

OP
P
I had the tag a few years ago (2012?) and thought it was great. They dropped the number of tags the next year, and then combined 1-3 and 1-4. It may not be what it was, but I bet you put some time and boots on the ground you would do just fine. I spent most of my time up Trestle Creek and Lightening Creek. It is beautiful country with great trails. Clark Fork and Sandpoint have lots of trappers that hit those areas pretty good.

Thanks for the response! I figure if nothing else It'll give me a reason to check out some new ground if I draw the tag.

Grizz208

FNG
Drew the tag this past season. Me and my mom. Hunted damn hard and it was a tough hunt. Hunted a total of probably 20-22 days. Seen probably around 40 moose. Only 7 of which were bulls. Lots of cows, cow calfs. Mom hunted maybe 10 days not pounding the hills like I was and saw 3 bulls. We both ended up getting small bulls. Out of the 7 bulls only 2 had really any size to them. Split fronts and respectable paddles. But always way out and going away. Other bulls were under 30 inchs. If you get the tag I can point you in some nice areas where I seen the nice ones. Suprising I saw a lot of moose sign just never found them. I know probably about half dozen people that drew the tag over last 10 years and it has gone down hill. But they are there. Get ready to hunt your ass off. If you get the long tag they push all down into the bottom which makes it a little easier.

nidaho

FNG
had two friends that had the 1-3 tag they hunted hard and I mean took the season off from October till the end of season they did get moose nothing great. they saw two other shooter moose and by that I mean 36-40 inch with ok paddles nothing big. these guys know where to hunt and get after it I hunt that unit in September for elk did not see a bull moose saw some cows also I cat hunt there in the winter and see a lot of moose in the winter range I have seen one bull about a 36 incher I have heard of several good sheds found but few and far between.years past you could hear moose grunts all over the mountain not one last year.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
In unit 1 near Bonner’s up Ball creek seen some dandies and up Mt Atlasta on backside of Pack river used too hold a lot as well.

I got this tag so if you can give me tips on where you saw those big ones that would be greatly appreciated. I have hunted hard ever since the season started and have only seen one bull moose no cow moose. The one I saw was nice. Got 90 yards of him with my bow before he split. Have not seen him since. Running out of places to go. Kind of still early in the season though so nothing coming into calls yet

Anyone have any moose sightings in this unit recently? I have been hunting hard all season and still no luck so some more help would be greatly appreciated. Don’t have much time left. I got till December 1st

Grizz208

FNG
How's the snow level up there? Last season when the snow came in we saw lot moose over toward were the scotchman peak trail head area was.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another spot in the past up Mt Atlasta half way up towards priest used to be full of moose

BAKPAKR

WKR
Another spot in the past up Mt Atlasta half way up towards priest used to be full of moose

I know there have been some changes to hunt area boundaries over the last several years but I think the current hunt area 1-3 is the part of Unit 1 east of Highway 95 and south of the Kootenai River. That would make Mt Atlasta out of the area.

If any one wants to see pics go to my Instagram account with my same user name of Hushlife777 and I posted pics there. I would post here but I don’t have a photo hosting site anymore since photobucket went to charging for there site