Innovative Boots for Moose Hunting

hunt1up

WKR
One thing I noticed that’s handy, you can crank the boa through the outer layer if they’re a little loose. No need to drop them down.

OP
Kevin Dill
If they leak under normal use (not damage) Cabela's will replace them or refund payment for that or other defects. Limited Lifetime Warranty.

KJH

WKR
They were $137.77 in the store yesterday. So if you're close to a store and going to buy them, then it would be worth a trip.

Trial153

WKR
They came today. That was fast.
Not sure what I think just yet. My first impression is that I will tear this boot to pieces in a month of hard hunting. But we will see.
I am having a issue with the boa on my left boot, crank it down tight and the it gives a bit. I will be out and about the next four days so I will get them a try.

Last edited:

Scottf270

WKR
Received mine yesterday. Wore them while bow hunting today. I love them. May buy a second pair and put them back for later at this price.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I got a chance to try on the snake boots. Before I saw them in person, I was concerned that they would be too thick and hot. I was pleasantly surprised - they weren’t thick at all. The boot was comfortable. Assuming they don’t link, they seem like an excellent option.

I definitely would have bought them if they were a different camo pattern. I’m typically a form follows function type of guy, but whatever camo pattern they used for the snake boot version is just too ugly to wear. Hopefully they update next year with some different options.

I saw on the Cabela’s site that they have a snake boot version of these now. Has anyone tried these? I bought some Lacrosse snake boots a few years back for hunting here in the Southeast and they are too uncomfortable to wear with any consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you think these would be for humping a 50 pound pack or so? In mountain terrain? Enough ankle support?

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Wore mine all day, jury is still out. I am getting some slipping. Get them tight and then after walking a bit things loosen up. I am not sure if it's a function of the boa or the construction of the boot.
Deer hunt the rest of the month will be a fair test, however the real test will be running hounds on yotes, cats and hare all winter. They hold up to that then a moose hunt or three will be a cake walk.

OP
Kevin Dill
Because I started this thread, I'll toss out a few more personal thoughts in no particular order...

I bought my boots for moose hunting only and that's the only use I've given them. I can't verify how they would hold up to long hard miles of use in very rugged terrain.

I personally think Cabela's designed these boots primarily for the whitetail market, but certainly don't believe they were thinking elk, alpine hunts, run-and-gun stuff.

My good friend has used these boots a couple times for Kodiak blacktail hunts and reports they did exceptionally well. He owns a total of 3 pairs now.

None of the guys I know have had any issues with the BOA lace system, though it concerned me initially. I've noticed it can be a learning process to get the lacing tension correct each time, as there is no visual reference. You just rotate the dial and go by how the boot feels as it snugs up.

My boots definitely went through a break-in period and it took some number of miles to get them there. A 1200 gm insulated boot (with no leather) doesn't break in like any normal laced leather boot.

The stock insoles are removable. I'd recommend a second set of insoles to swap if wearing them daily for extended hunts. I also like to change my outer heavy hunting socks once a day at lunch.

I don't think the outer gaiters on these boots are built to endure super-heavy abuse by rocks and sharp stubs. They are waterproof fabric and have held up well for me, but I recognize the potential for damage in severe use.

And just a reminder that Cabela's does warrant them 'lifetime' for any defects such as leaks, zipper issue, BOA problem, etc.

Scottf270

WKR
Just got back from St. Louis, Mo. Cabelas where I picked up a 137.00 pair of the1200 gram model. Got a pair of each model for 300 bucks. Happy, happy, happy!!!! Love them so far.

Got mine last week. Going to try them out this weekend on a Western NE sandhills mule deer hunt. Mostly just want them to replace a pair of worn rubber boots.....

My guess is that this product line is as good as gone! With the two entities integrating businesses, I am sure somethings had to go. I actually have a couple of other items from their Instinct Series and they are no where to be found either.

KJH

WKR
I was told by the guy at Cabelas two weeks ago they are being discontinued.

Looks like there are nil sizes left. I do need Newfoundland boots, and Muck boots don't fit me properly, due to my narrow foot.

Voyageur

WKR
Resurrecting an older thread here...With the Cabela's Instinct Lock Down boots no longer available, has anyone found something similar that fills the niche they provided for?