Newfoundland Moose

rlmmarine

WKR
October 2019 for me. 2nd timeView attachment 76307View attachment 76308View attachment 76309
7 hunters, 5 bulls, one cow and, one not found
Hinterland Outfitting LTD

How was the hunting in oct was it post rut I'm afraid I may have booked it to late in the year but we will see
I'm starting to put my gear and road trip map together now, I'll be driving from daytona fl but I can't find a better way to get all the meat back. I should be an awesome road trip for sure

Trial153

WKR
First week of oct can be super. Bulls are losing their cows and searching for new ones..great week to call a bull in.

Bama Van

FNG
I am hunting at Caribou Pond from September 30 to October 6, 2018 I am hunting out of Spike Camp, this will be my 5th time hunting with them , I have killed two 11 pt. bull moose a 22 pt. Woodland Caribou and the last trip 2016 I passed on 3-small bulls and a cow and calf trying to kill a bigger bull. It is a great outfit, love the terrain and the people, Main Camp is beautiful.

Speedbump

FNG
Leaving 6 weeks from tomorrow for a fly in hunt with Mountain Top Outfitters. Been 7 years since my last visit, so truly looking forward to it. If the weather cuts us any kind of break, it will be a great hunt.

tracker12

WKR
Bama Van
A friend of mine will be in camp with you this year. Good luck and leave a big one for me next year.

How did your hunt with Patey and Sons turn out?
I will be honest. My hunt was just, ehh. I don't think that i would hunt with them again though. I just didn't feel like they really wanted to work in finding you a moose that you were looking for. I am a young person and wanted to get out and about seeing things. I did get that opportunity to certain extent. The issue though was the moose population. When the helicopter landed, the group that was leaving shook their heads and told us 'good luck'. They said that there were not any moose in the area, unless you were looking for a small bull (4-6 points). I had made it clear to them that I was looking for something with paddles that was representative of the species. They said I should have no problem when I booked. Well....fast forward to my hunt and it was not a possibility. The other guy in camp with my shot a 4pt moose on the first morning because he was afraid that was going to be the only moose that he saw. the first day was a wash for me...literally, since it rained so dang hard and I was soaked from head to toe (luggage didn't come with me!!). The 2nd morning I was told by my guide that my expectations will not be met in this area and I need to shoot the first moose that we see because the conditions might get worse. Had an awesome morning hiking around in the high hills and seeing everything. Even had some caribou walk up pretty close to me. Out of no where, the helicopter comes and after a discussion with my guide they tell me to jump in and go to another area where they saw a bull in the AM flying around. Well, after an hour of constant calling, out walks a bull. It wasn't what I was looking to shoot at all but the guide kept putting the pressure on me to shoot it. At the end of the day it is my call to shoot or not shoot. I ended up shooting after he said there is no way I will see anything bigger than this. It was a little frustrating. Why are they putting hunters in areas where there are no moose? In our camp there were only 3 moose seen. I personally think that if your goal is to stack moose up like cord wood, your percentage is going to be high but your trophy quality will remain low. Just my personal opinion. I also made my guide mad when I told him that I wanted to get a euro mount of my moose. Which of course meant that he had to take the hide off the skull. I could go on, but at the end of the day, maybe it is me just being too nit picky about things. The team of people that work for this outfit are amazing people though. While my guide was a little salty, all of the others were great people. They do shoot some good bulls though. I witnessed it the next day at their main lodge when others were coming out of the bush. As I mentioned, I probably wouldn't go back with them, but that doesn't mean that you won't have a fantastic experience.

PA Hunter

WKR
I will be honest. My hunt was just, ehh. I don't think that i would hunt with them again though. I just didn't feel like they really wanted to work in finding you a moose that you were looking for. I am a young person and wanted to get out and about seeing things. I did get that opportunity to certain extent. The issue though was the moose population. When the helicopter landed, the group that was leaving shook their heads and told us 'good luck'. They said that there were not any moose in the area, unless you were looking for a small bull (4-6 points). I had made it clear to them that I was looking for something with paddles that was representative of the species. They said I should have no problem when I booked. Well....fast forward to my hunt and it was not a possibility. The other guy in camp with my shot a 4pt moose on the first morning because he was afraid that was going to be the only moose that he saw. the first day was a wash for me...literally, since it rained so dang hard and I was soaked from head to toe (luggage didn't come with me!!). The 2nd morning I was told by my guide that my expectations will not be met in this area and I need to shoot the first moose that we see because the conditions might get worse. Had an awesome morning hiking around in the high hills and seeing everything. Even had some caribou walk up pretty close to me. Out of no where, the helicopter comes and after a discussion with my guide they tell me to jump in and go to another area where they saw a bull in the AM flying around. Well, after an hour of constant calling, out walks a bull. It wasn't what I was looking to shoot at all but the guide kept putting the pressure on me to shoot it. At the end of the day it is my call to shoot or not shoot. I ended up shooting after he said there is no way I will see anything bigger than this. It was a little frustrating. Why are they putting hunters in areas where there are no moose? In our camp there were only 3 moose seen. I personally think that if your goal is to stack moose up like cord wood, your percentage is going to be high but your trophy quality will remain low. Just my personal opinion. I also made my guide mad when I told him that I wanted to get a euro mount of my moose. Which of course meant that he had to take the hide off the skull. I could go on, but at the end of the day, maybe it is me just being too nit picky about things. The team of people that work for this outfit are amazing people though. While my guide was a little salty, all of the others were great people. They do shoot some good bulls though. I witnessed it the next day at their main lodge when others were coming out of the bush. As I mentioned, I probably wouldn't go back with them, but that doesn't mean that you won't have a fantastic experience.
You might want to try Brophy if you want to do a death march but have a chance at decent bulls. I use Roberts Outfitting every other year. I brought 9 moose back in my trailer this year four of my friends all slammers with Brophy and five in my camp Roberts. My friends bulls made ours look small but he worked his tail off.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the candid feedback on Patey. Taking them off the list.
Brophy sounds interesting. Will look into them. Thanks for the recommendation.