Range of your Goat Kill(s)

I posted on the Optics board to get a bit more traffic regarding a scope choice for my upcoming hunt. I'd love to get some quick answers here regarding some of the mountain goat kills you've experienced. Some of you guys have seen many.

1. What was the range?
2. Set-up (off-hand, kneeling, prone, backpack rest, bipod, etc.)

As much as I love to bow hunt, I'm carrying a rifle on this hunt.

bcimport

WKR
148 yards sitting
280 yards prone

Both were shot with a 2.5x scout scope. Don’t overthink it, for goats I would take durability and simplicity over anything else.

lonedave

WKR
1. 40 yards rested over a rock at about 60 degrees downhill
2. 350 yards sort of sitting on a steep slope
3. 75 yards offhand slightly uphill
All with a .264 Win Mag/140 gr Speer

I'm interested in what others have experienced as well. I'm headed to Haines, AK in September for a backpack hunt. Carrying a 7mm Rem Mag with a 160 gr Accubond bullet. Shooting 1 inch high at 200. Hoping for a shot within a 150 yds but preparing for longer.

DA

I arrowed two...About 25 yards on both...both were pre-rangefinder days back in '79 and '91. There are quite a few goats taken by serious bowhunters every year. They are generally easier to get close to than sheep, but often the terrain is rougher.

mcr-85

WKR
One day I hope to kill a goat of my own. I only have seen one shot and killed. My mom's goat was at 510 last year shooting a 7mm Rem Mag with a 175 Berger. 1 shot up through the front of the shoulder and out the jugular on the offside. She shot him off a short bipod and a small rock pile.
06f67d7d67e4c06fd97d2b6963a310e5.jpg

We had him at 286 yards below us but he got into the timber before she could get a shot and we lost him. He circled up and around and my dad happened to glass him up while looking for route in the chutes to get us back up through the ledges to the top.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
dreamingWest
Good stuff. Keep it coming.
For those of you that shot over 300 yards. Did you hold over or dial?

#1 @ 107 yards and prone (I did get to within 7 yards of this goat but I didn’t think that I was going to kill him so I just took my phone and took pictures. Then I decided to take him, so went back to where my rifle/pack were and took the shot).
#2 @ 212 yards and prone.
#3 @ 40-50 yards, didn’t range him, and standing/off hand.
#4 @ 220 yards and prone.
#5 @ 120 yards and prone.
#6 @ 230 yards and prone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
7mm Rem Mag with 160 accubond. Rolled the goat right over, my guide had a quick chuckle that all he saw in the spotter was 4 white legs poking up after the shot in his spotting scope. No worries on my end about your setup with that bullet and cartridge for your hunt.

206 yards off backpack with rain gear inside, slight uphill angle.

Last edited:

tuffcity

WKR
25 yds, 35 yds and 110 yds... and none of them off a cliff face! (hate those places)

RC

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in what others have experienced as well. I'm headed to Haines, AK in September for a backpack hunt. Carrying a 7mm Rem Mag with a 160 gr Accubond bullet. Shooting 1 inch high at 200. Hoping for a shot within a 150 yds but preparing for longer.

DA

I used the same cartridge and bullet.
Shot mine at 200yds in the chest 3x. He proceeded to walk away like nothing happened. Their tough. He only made it 60 or 70 yds, but don’t expect to steamroll him with one shot.

400 yds and 350 yds. Prone both times. First one rolled instantly and the other made the cliff dive off the other side of the mountain.

Witnessed another at around 200 yds, kneeling and instant death from a liver hit with a .270.

I used the same cartridge and bullet.
Shot mine at 200yds in the chest 3x.

He proceeded to walk away like nothing happened. Their tough. He only made it 60 or 70 yds, but don’t expect to steamroll him with one shot.

Wow. That's crazy.

DA