The Cave and the Heartbrake: a 10 yr old boys first goat hunt

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
We were on cloud nine and we came down hard and fast. I pulled the book of our licenses out and there was my goat tag but where was Josh's? Then it hit me, I realized I never bought him one. I could give 1000 excuses about being busy but I SCREWED up. Making the best of a horrible situation I cut my tag hoping that might satisfy something with Josh being a youth hunter and me being the accompanying hunter. The decision was made that we would contact the CO as soon as we got back in town. We were sad but still thrilled about the hunt. The next day we hiked the goat out and stopped by the CO office back in town. No one was there. We called the hotline and reported our mistake.

Then just today the CO drove away from my house with Josh's goat and most of my heart. I have never felt like such a screw up of a Dad. It sucks that my son loses out when I'm the one that should pay. We were given a warning but he said he had no discretion and had to confiscate the goat. I would gladly pay a fine if it meant my son could keep his goat. He earned it, every ounce and every inch. So proud of him and so disappointed in myself.
WC2PFl0h.jpg

Last edited:

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
That is one heck of a story! It's too bad he lost his goat, but he can still be proud. I'm sure you feel bad, but it looks like you haven't made many mistakes as a dad...that's one heck of a boy you've got there! I'm sure he'll forgive you.

LandYacht

WKR
What an epic hunt that many full grown men wouldn’t be able to complete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy.

You taught your son valuable lessons. Hard work pays off having an awesome adventure. Always tell the truth.

gbflyer

WKR
Great story.

I was hunting Sitka black tail with my son today, 11. We had 3 shooter bucks in sight, but at 420 yards it was too far of a poke for him. They were standing on a knife edge ridge, if we didn’t get the perfect shot the buck could go the wrong way which would have been unrecoverable. So, we passed, Dad muttering profanity and Jr. watching the bucks and a wandering momma brown bear in the far distance. It was a great day for us with a lesson about respecting the quarry.

Your son will remember that hunt forever and I bet he never forgets a license for the rest of his days. Good for you for not fabricating a story. Huge life lesson for the young man. Good job Dad!

Amazing story and thanks for sharing.
You are setting a great example for Josh and I see many goats and other animals in his future.

chasewild

WKR
Amazing hunt -- can't believe he did what most grown men can't.

You did the right thing, which was much harder, and that'll probably shape Josh more than the hunt itself.

Roy68

WKR
Thanks for sharing. Your son will forgive you long before you forgive yourself. Make sure you accept his forgiveness.

As a father of 3 boys and a devoted husband; I can honestly say I make a mistake in their eyes everyday in some way. We are fallible, no two ways about it. How we deal with it as adults, spouses, and as parents help define who we are and where we stand. I have the upmost respect for parents who aren’t afraid to own their shortcomings and mistakes in front of their children & spouses.

No doubt you are teaching your son how to be a man; so when the time comes for him to be a man he can be one.

Good on you Dad.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doing the right thing is always rewarded in the end. I could feel the heart wrenching of the situation. Congratulations still a heck of an adventure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

You did the right thing, probably tougher than the hunt itself!

You taught your son and even more valuable lesson over and above the hunt, a good life lesson.

I guess you'll be hearing "Got the tags Dad?" from now on....

Broomd

WKR
Wow, 'unfortunate' is an understatement. You did what you should have done in the end.

Great pics, good on ya for getting the son out there.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
You did the right thing, probably tougher than the hunt itself!

You taught your son and even more valuable lesson over and above the hunt, a good life lesson.

I guess you'll be hearing "Got the tags Dad?" from now on....

HA HA Yes we had this talk. Even though I take all responsibility for this disastrous mistake I told Josh he needed to own some as well. He was shocked at this. LOL. BUT he took the coarse, he knew he needed a tag, he knew the laws and he needs to ensure he is following the laws no matter who takes him hunting. His mistake was assuming that Dad had done everything. Lesson learned, never assume someone else is doing everything for you, take responsibility and ensure that everything is legally satisfied before going on a hunt. Josh understands his very small part in this and from now on he will be checking about tags as well.

Im sure that will be an experience he will never forget. Congrats on a great goat and doing the right thing. Sorry to hear the final outcome.