Gear Cache Options....thoughts, ideas, personal experiences?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Alright folks. I’m at a point where I’ve got a target area and the ability to cache a 16 gal water tight drum and some gear in a hunting area. It’s 8 miles in, and I’m having a tough time deciding what all to stash back in there.

FYI, Water is not an issue in here. There’s water EVERYWHERE.

Have you stashed gear before? If so, for how long?

What’d you stash? Would you do it again?

Curious to start a convo with folks who have done this or continue to do it year in and year out. I intend to make this cache a thing I access regularly for the coming years. So stashing stuff for the unforeseeable future is absolutely in the realm of possibilities.

Thanks for the input!

8ec6d0feb3312c0ee6a8d19d296527c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
This thought has never crossed my mind.

1. I need my gear for more than just one spot. If I stashed gear then I would need doubles of the stashed items for my other trips.
2. What if stash gets damaged? Hike all the way back there and don't have the essential gear? I would not want to risk that and ruin my trip.

I would rather invest money in the lightest weight best gear possible then buying extra items and leaving them out in the mountains all year.

It would be pretty cool to have a camp set-up stashed at all my hunting locations and just have to walk in there though ha ha.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Somewhat related to this topic...

Just got back from a sheep hunt, where I ran into some other hunters at the strip who admitted they had taken the door off their plane and air dropped in supplies way up a drainage they hiked into. AKA drug runner status...

Maybe next year I can try to race them in and have myself a food coma on their snacks.

FlyGuy

WKR
I would probably go with a big stack of '70's playboys...

Seriously though, that's an Interesting question. I've never considered what supplies would go into a stash before reading this thread so I'm not sure this is much help. I've also never sheep/goat hunted, but I guess I would go with a mix of emergency items and comfort items that I didn't want to lug back and forth.

A duraflame log with a Small bottle of lighter fluid and matches maybe if there us anything at all up there to burn (?), if not them maybe just some of those chemical activated hand/foot warmers. They help get through a cold night, but they are really heavy for their small size so I almost never have them away from basecamp. Emergency blanket or bivy. Maybe some rope and climbing gear for extremely difficult retrievals. 1st aid supplies like those clotting packs that I never bring b/c they are so heavy. Extra food. Extra wipes. Leukotape. Extra gloves (I seem to lose one every damn trip). An extra headlamp.

Comfort items might be a helinox chair and/or cot. Maybe a super plush sleeping pad. Some high dollar scotch.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
I would probably go with a big stack of '70's playboys...

Seriously though, that's an Interesting question. I've never considered what supplies would go into a stash before reading this thread so I'm not sure this is much help. I've also never sheep/goat hunted, but I guess I would go with a mix of emergency items and comfort items that I didn't want to lug back and forth.

A duraflame log with a Small bottle of lighter fluid and matches maybe if there us anything at all up there to burn (?), if not them maybe just some of those chemical activated hand/foot warmers. They help get through a cold night, but they are really heavy for their small size so I almost never have them away from basecamp. Emergency blanket or bivy. Maybe some rope and climbing gear for extremely difficult retrievals. 1st aid supplies like those clotting packs that I never bring b/c they are so heavy. Extra food. Extra wipes. Leukotape. Extra gloves (I seem to lose one every damn trip). An extra headlamp.

Comfort items might be a helinox chair and/or cot. Maybe a super plush sleeping pad. Some high dollar scotch.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback and ideas! I like the comfort item ideas. Especially if I have an old air mattress kicking around...also the rope and harness idea is a damn good one. You’ve helped get my wheels turning s but more.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stove fuel, a few decent sized tarps, some decent bourbon/scotch, maybe a moderate priced 3+ season 6 or 8 man tent if you really think you'll hit the area annually.

JWP58

WKR
I usually stash my 1p tent, sleeping bag, stove, gas, sleeping pad, etc.

Just realize you always run the risk of losing the stuff you leave.