Alaska DG352 Brown Mtn Goat Hunt - Partner needed

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna throw out a Hail Mary here...

I am looking for a partner to accompany me on my goat hunt, DG352 Brown Mountain. My original partner had to back out due to work obligations this past week and I have been unable to find a replacement in my circle of friends. Last year I was successful in taking a smaller billy out of DG346 via the boat and some nifty inflatebale maneuvering in the surf. My plan to access the area for DG352 is by boat out of Seward again. My Dad would drive the boat and anchor up while we head ashore. I just returned from a sheep hunt last week, so I am in decent shape and looking forward to more challenging bushwacking!

Ideally, I would block off anywhere between 3-7 days for this hunt. My work schedule is flexible, however I would like to go in September during a decent weather window and sooner rather than later, before the weather makes this impossible to access via boat and hunt. I have been out to Nuka Island area in the boat earlier this summer and am planning on flying over in the plane tomorrow night as well to scout access points. From what I have gathered talking to other folks who have hunted this tag, there are lots of black bears in the area also. If interested in joining, please PM me on here or email [email protected] and we can discuss. I also posted a similar message on the Alaska Outdoor Forums.

Ryan H.

OP
Arctic_Beaver

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
You got it solo. Just bring a sat phone.

I'll definitely go at it solo if I can't find anyone interested. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't hunt this tag. Just take it slow on the climb/descent, and do my best to limit the riskier routes.

I took a black bear solo this spring via spot and stalk on the Kenai Peninsula, 8 miles back from the truck. That was quite the haul to shuttle the meat and my gear back.

I just have the Garmin InReach. If my Dad is waiting on the water for a few days, he's not going to be able to communicate with me. I'm not sure if I could trust the range on 2-way handhelds. I'm thinking the best route would be just to rent 2 sat phones like you mentioned.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I'll definitely go at it solo if I can't find anyone interested. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't hunt this tag. Just take it slow on the climb/descent, and do my best to limit the riskier routes.

I took a black bear solo this spring via spot and stalk on the Kenai Peninsula, 8 miles back from the truck. That was quite the haul to shuttle the meat and my gear back.

I just have the Garmin InReach. If my Dad is waiting on the water for a few days, he's not going to be able to communicate with me. I'm not sure if I could trust the range on 2-way handhelds. I'm thinking the best route would be just to rent 2 sat phones like you mentioned.

Rent a sat phone, or grab another InReach. I saw the old Delorme ones on sale for like $150. I'm pretty sure you can have two on your account. I just up my plan to the unlimited text when the season starts.

I'm not sure what the place in Anchorage is charging for sat phone rentals.

OP
Arctic_Beaver

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
To follow up on this, I did go solo and ended up taking a nice billy. I will get to posting pics and a write up here in the next few weeks. Rented the 2 Sat phones as well so I could check in with my Dad on the boat while he read and drank wine.

To follow up on this, I did go solo and ended up taking a nice billy. I will get to posting pics and a write up here in the next few weeks. Rented the 2 Sat phones as well so I could check in with my Dad on the boat while he read and drank wine.

I just got RG364. Heading out this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
I just drew this tag for fall of '24. If you're willing, love to pick your brain about logisitics and transporation via PM. Standing by...

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
The title had me thinking brown colored mountain goats. Never seen color phase mountain goats before, but after living in Texas for a few years, I've seen a color phase for about every different type of critter.

That hunts out were the big halibut roam! It would be pretty costly for a boat drop off out there, basically in the middle between seward and homer. I bet you would be quite a few bucks ahead if you took a float plane from homer. Having the added bonus of seeing what its like above alder lines as well.