Solo(ish) AK Goat Hunt

You can get those long ice axes online or if you live near Anchorage there is a mountain gear shop that’s across from REI it’s a little locally owned spot. Can’t think of the name, but they have them in stock there. I love the thing. I’ve used it in so many ways a trekking pole or whippet would have failed. Excavating a spot for the tent is a good one, wedging between two rocks to pull yourself up over a cliff, chipping ice to boil, the list goes on and on basically- I freaking love that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMH (Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking). I picked up two of them last year for about $90 each. You can order online but they wanted $94 for shipping to Anchorage.

mtnhmr

FNG
Glad to see other solo goat hunters. Pulled a 14 year old nanny down alone this summer.

I also use the same ice axe (100cm)!

Nice job!

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Loved the photo essay! What camera did you use?
Brandon

It’s a small DSLR. The Canon EOS Rebel SL 1. I should really get something bigger with more capabilities. But for now, it does just fine.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Congratulations on the goat. I enjoyed the photos. That is amazing country, and you really earned your goat.

That a boy, was wondering how long it would take you to hunt goats in your back yard instead of traveling... Hope that boy wonder can make it up soon, he needs some more social media fodder :)

Congrats on the nanny.

Awesome pics.

Going on my first solo goat hunt this weekend. Getting pretty stoked.

7Bartman

WKR
Wow, how did I miss this before? Awesome hunt and great photo diary. Were you worried about bears sleeping out in the open like that?

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Wow, how did I miss this before? Awesome hunt and great photo diary. Were you worried about bears sleeping out in the open like that?

Not so much. They’re prevalent here in SEAK. But up high where I was close to the glacier, it’s not such a worry that time of the year. I knew the weather forecast and was running and gunning. Kinda a gamble, but worth it in the end! “No regerts”

This is easily my favorite hunting story in all of Rokslide. I have a few hunts this year that I now plan on telling entirely via pictures. Great job man!