Nosler accubonds?

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
New to goats, but thinking about my gun and ammo choice for the future. My go to rifle is my 300 win mag with 180 gr accubonds. My question is are the accubonds bullets tough enough for mountain goats? Thanks for the info!

Way more than tough enough. Goats ARE tough... goat bullets don’t particularly need to be. Goats are pretty narrow through the chest and IMO you should lean towards something that expands fast and wide to do max damage in that relatively short distance. Accubonds generally check that box, so a fine of choice as any.

The goat my hunting partner got this year sucked up a 250 gr Accubond and a pair of 200 ELDX before he quit. Plenty of damage and broken bones from all three shots, and all exited. I’ve also seen Berger’s and Partitions work well. All of those tend to do a lot of damage in a short distance also. I’d lean away from the harder deep penetrating bullets, but that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Guy
OP
Travis2282

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I love the nosler 190 ablr for fast expansion, but figured it might need to be tougher than that!

EastMT

WKR
AB are great, as long as they aren’t traveling hyper speed
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I've shot 4 billies with 300 WSM and 150 grain nosler partitions. It only took 1 shot for each goat and they pretty much dropped in their tracks. The trick with goats is shot placement. I always try to anchor them through the shoulders with lung shots. I've been on about a dozen other goat kills that took multiple shoots with other calibers and bullets. I use the same 150 grain partitions for elk, deer, sheep, antelope, and deer.....all only took 1 shot. The nice thing about 300 WSM is it hardly kicks! I shot 1 shot through a 300 Win Mag and immediately returned it due to how it kicked!

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
I killed mine in 2017 with a .300 win mag and 180 accubond. He was bedded broadside and at 99 yards. He never flinched. Just laid his head over dead. Bullet exited the offside shoulder. I would be fully confident with that bullet again without hesitation.

mcseal2

WKR
I haven't shot a goat, but have used the Accubond a lot. In general they create a very large mushroom fast, and then penetrate holding 60-70% of their weight. They often don't penetrate as deep as an equivalent Partition because the Partition sheds a lot of the front of the bullet ahead of the Partition while the Accubond holds more of it in the big mushroom. More frontal diameter means more resistance and less penetration, but it also means a bigger wound channel. The only times I've had Accubonds not exit were on elk or extreme angles on deer and they mushroomed great, just didn't have enough energy to drive that big mushroom through. Even on coyotes they open fast and make a good wound channel.

I use Accubonds a lot and love their terminal performance. I stepped up in toughness to the E tip for my moose hunt, but for elk and smaller game the Accubond is hard to beat. The Accubond would have done fine on the moose too I'm sure but I like exit wounds and figured a deeper penetrating bullet wouldn't hurt.

Oregon

WKR
I call accubonds, accubombs.
I killed a goat in 1988 while living in Ketchikan.
I only know I killed it with a .270. Only rifle I owned at the time.
Since then, many different critters have fallen to an accubond.
Deer, bear, elk. I think you’re fine

I used LRAB on a goat...I won’t again. That air pocket behind the tip exploded too fast, didn’t penetrate beyond the shoulder blade. Use a very sturdy bullet, as LRAB have nothing in common with accubonds besides the manufacturer. Partition, Barnes, swift, accubond reg. I almost lost a kodiak goat with 2 shots in the shoulder from LRAB at 300+ yards. Too explosive until 5-600 yards for consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have read multiple of these concerns online now and I was about to load 175 ABLR in my 7mm... they don’t make the regular Accubond in that weight though

adkhunter

FNG
Killed 5 Barbary sheep in January with a 270 and 130 accubonds & 59.5 grains of H4831 SC. All between 130 and 330 yards. All performed very well including a front on shot on a 34”+ ram. All dropped in their tracks. Not goats but I wouldn’t hesitate to use that load on anything except big bears.

ABLR’s are a different story. 500 yards plus for them. Couldn’t get them to group for nothing under 300. Totally different construction.

Just my $0.02. Been loading partitions for years and I’m a AB convert now.

Love the Accubond - used it on a pretty good variety of game and it’s always performed well. It’s also a reliably accurate bullet. Used it in Spain this year for 2x Chamois and a Mouflon - all 1-shot “bang-flop” takes out to 400 yards with a 6.5CM. Recovered 1 bullet that smashed through shoulder bone on a quartered-toward shot and traveled almost full length of the animal - perfect expansion.6B6BB1D0-7182-4F1C-8950-D40EB7153F7D.jpeg

Flojoe

FNG
Don’t overthink it, just about any modern controlled expansion bullet these days will do the job. Just find the one that you’re gun shoots the best.

Personally, my gun shoots the 165 Partitions the best so far and I’ve killed 2 goats with that.

Reactions: Guy

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, Accubond will work perfectly on goats. My Accubond have taken goat, moose, brown bear, and lots of smaller game.

Brendan

WKR
I just shot a small whitetail buck with a 165 AB out of my 308. No exit, and didn't hit leg, shoulder, or spine. Was pretty surprised by that.

He did only go about 20 yards, and it looked like the bullet fragmented and ricocheted around the inside of the chest cavity....

EastMT

WKR
180gr Accubond, 300 WSM, about 2900 FPS. 100 yards +/-. Through the top of shoulder quartered to me, found below the hide just behind the diaphragm.

dbc3c4c14bf35ca6ad9356403b8dbffa.jpg