Best bullet for GOAT

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Likely something to that. Never been a big Barnes fan for that reason. Do you think something like an interlock or Nosler Ballstic tip would be a better option than an Accubond or Scirocco in the case of something like this?

Brother you've killed more goats than I have, but from a terminal standpoint-yes. Though depending on weight and caliber the Ballistic Tips can be nearly the same as Accubonds (the 30cal 180gr NBT and AB, for instance). The Scirocco, AB, Partition, etc are a good mix of penetration and wound size for those that want it. NBT's, and especially A-MAX's/ELD-M's/ELD-X's, correct weight Berger VLD's, LR AB's definitely kill quicker.

Seeing a goat's proclivity to launch itself, and while they cling to life obsessively, I'm more than willing to trade some bloodshot meat for quicker kills.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Brother you've killed more goats than I have, but from a terminal standpoint-yes. Though depending on weight and caliber the Ballistic Tips can be nearly the same as Accubonds (the 30cal 180gr NBT and AB, for instance). The Scirocco, AB, Partition, etc are a good mix of penetration and wound size for those that want it. NBT's, and especially A-MAX's/ELD-M's/ELD-X's, correct weight Berger VLD's, LR AB's definitely kill quicker.

Seeing a goat's proclivity to launch itself, and while they cling to life obsessively, I'm more than willing to trade some bloodshot meat for quicker kills.

HAHA I have personally only killed 3 of the 24 I have watch tip over help pack off the mountain. Regardless just because I have seen a lot killed doesn't mean I am doing it right or can't be done better. I am just a dummy that climbs up the mountains at points a pipe at them and pulls a trigger and hauls them down so always willing to learn from those with much more experience and knowledge than I, thus asking the question.

I have thought about going down to 168 ballistic tips for the 308 than 180 Scirocos or 165 accubonds for a bit more expansion with a softer bullet. That said they still seem to kill regardless of if its a core lokt, A frame, or VLD. Really I couldn't tell you most the time looking at animals reactions what bullet was used at all. But fun stuff to think about certainly. For me the main reason I don't go with a VLD is because most of my hunting is done where grizzly or brown bear season is open as well and while I have no doubt any bullet will work (have seen a number of them including a top ten B&C grizz shot with standard green/yellow core lokts) it gives me the warm fuzzy using a bit stouter bullet in the event I decide I wanna add another bear to the wall as those critters especially bears are a bit more than 15" across ;) What would you suggest for the best "do all" bullet given those parameters of possibly bear hunting on the side in addition to original animal? Are properly sized A Max and VLDs still a good idea if you can match velocity and bullet weight? Not a big fan of carrying 2 different loads and not concerned about "protection" bullet when out hunting. More or less just a good do it all bullet.

Thanks for your insight.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I am extremely comfortable with a significantly larger yet relitivley shorter wound channel, others believe that the deeper a bullet penetrates and the prettier it looks when it comes out- the "better" it is.

If you want a bullet that is softer (i.e. causes more damage/kills quicker), yet still penetrates well, at 308 speeds the 168gr NBT, heavy A-MAX's, ELD-M and ELD-X (168/178/208), LRAB's, etc will all do it. The Berger 185gr Juggernaut is a monster bullet and penetrates significantly deeper than other VLD's while still offering a good wound channel (and fantastic flight characteristics). The Lapua 155gr Scenar is another, though it features a bit more penetration and less fragmentation than Berger VLD's.

In the 308 I typically use the 168gr A-MAX, 155gr Scenar, and 185gr Berger Juggernaut, though I have used most bullets from the 110gr TSX to the 220gr SMK. The 168gr NBT is good as well, but is constructed more heavily now than most people realize and acts more like an Accubond, not that it is a bad thing.

For one bullet in NA for everything, with the 308- 178gr Honrady ELD-X. Good penetration and great wound channel.

For visuals- these pictures are Ballistic gelatin test shots sized correctly and anatomically overlaid on a deer. The first is a deep penetrating bullet (Barnes 180gr TSX), the second a bonded medium penetration (Nosler 180gr AB), and the third a "soft" bullet (178gr A-MAX). The wound track is alike for similar bullets- TSX/GMX/Etip, NAB/SciroccoII/Partition, etc. It is quite easy to see which bullets cause more damage and consequently kill faster.

Barnes 180gr TSX

Barnes168TSXBroadside.jpg

Nosler 180grAccubond

Deer168grAMAXBroadside.jpg

Hornady 178gr A-MAX/ELD-M

300WM178grAMAXBroadside.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for your response sir. I just purchased a box of 178 ELDX and 168 NBT actually 2 months ago just haven't had time to work up loads for either yet. Good to know that those are good options. I'll just go with which ever one shoots better. Not a big fan of mangled meat so hopefully it doesn't mess things up too bad. I know you are more of the type that does are for meat and use less destructive bullets and bucks are for trophy so just worry less about meat damage but I like to eat my trophies to...even the trophy cow moose ;)

Thanks again.

cbeard64

WKR
I know this is an old post but an excellent topic. Goats are indeed tough.
IMO a bullet on the tougher end of the scale is best for goats. Nosler Partion, Nosler AB, Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady ELDs, etc.
I would stay away from the Berger VLD type bullets altogether. Heck, I would go with a regular cup-and-core bullet before using them.

My goat this year was taken with a .300 WSM loaded with 180 grain TSXs. Shot was at a steep angle between the shoulder blades at 75 yards. He still made it several yards and was alive when I got into position to put a finishing shot into him. Thankfully he was mortally wounded and lay down on a flat rock instead of diving off down the mountain. Post mortem revealed the initial shot was mortal with excellent penetration and wound channel. He bled out profusely but they are simply tough animals.

I wouldn’t take a chance with anything less than a well-constructed bullet that will guarantee good penetration every time on mountain goats.