2018 Best Buck Mule Deer Photo Contest, sponsored by Kryptek

Wyoming Muley. My best buck to date. I also want to give a shout out and thank you to Buzz!
20f9a6f4ffffbb3c227303741799995f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Idaho general season mule deer. This season has been very good to me, and I feel very fortunate to chase these animals in the gorgeous country they reside.
20a09ffad718d84fda44d3b915f90e94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bam bam Muley Buck. Backstrap party at your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bam bam Muley Buck. Backstrap party at your house.

I know right! Definitely eatin' good in my neck of the woods this year. I'm still somewhat in disbelief about the way everything played out. I will say it's nice when things can finally pan out by putting the pieces together after years of failing and learning. It sure is a sweet reward.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my hunting mentor getting it done on a Utah general tag at 86 with his trusty 30/06. Probably going to be my favorite hunting moment of all time.
25cdc97e15e78e6dbec143d16fa617b5.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My Son's first buck! We were able to watch him for two days before he decided that was the one he wanted to pursue. He made a great shot on him and now we have some lifelong memories.

29f67662e5e6bbde4a2b7141a6bc861d.jpg

Last edited:
My Son's first buck! We were able to watch him for two days before he decided that was the one he wanted to pursue. He made a great shot on him and now we have some lifelong memories.

29f67662e5e6bbde4a2b7141a6bc861d.jpg

Right on, that's what it's all about! What an awesome experience for you guys. I can hardly wait to get in the field with my boys. Good job on a nice buck.

Right on, that's what it's all about! What an awesome experience for you guys. I can hardly wait to get in the field with my boys. Good job on a nice buck.

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words! The experience has been amazing so far. From the harvest, to breaking him down and packing him out, it has brought a new level of respect for taking an animals life. I hope you get to share those memories one day with your boys!

Utah General Season, solo on public land. Found this buck a week before season took 6 days to find him again. When I did finally turn him up I was shivering from the cold too bad to shoot, wrapped my rain gear around my legs ate some food finally got the teeth chattering to stop long enough to make a good shot.
cbbb0e7ae003a16793764b9b17763c7f.jpg

Last edited:
I know this is a photo contest but a photo alone wouldn't do this hunt justice for how special it was to my hunting partner Josh Logsdon and I.

This story really begins a few years ago in college. Josh Logsdon, Casey Gillenwater, and myself were roomates in college, we also worked together at the local sporting goods store. Between school, work and home it seemed like we were never apart. That's when the planning for an "epic" big mule deer hunt all started. We spent all our free time researching units, scouting, and dreaming about one day knocking down 3 big ol' bruiser bucks together.

In September of 2017 a big wrench got thrown in those plans. Our dear friend Casey passed away in a tragic car accident. Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that with the loss of such a dear friend weighing so heavy on my mind, I do not remember a single day in the field from the 2017 hunting season.

With both me and Josh taking jobs in different cities we do not get to spend the time together that we once did. We talked about it early in 2018 and decided that life is too short to not be in the mountains making memories together. So we applied for tags and waited anxiously. When draw results came out, and we realized that we had both drawn, that's when we realized our long awaited buck hunt was going to finally happen.

We both took our time off from work and the time finally came when we were sitting on the mountain a day before the opener looking over miles of country, trying to turn up a big buck.

To step back one more time, we were both using a very special and sentimental rifle on this hunt. It is a rifle that Casey and I built the year before he passed away. It is a custom built 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, Proof Research barrel, Mcmillan stock, Nightforce scope.. The works..

Opening day came and Josh knocked down this beautiful big typical with a GIANT back end. One perfectly placed shot at 580 yards from the Ackley and it was all over.
OxObagg.jpg

A few days later and after passing several nice bucks, Josh glassed up a buck that got both of our hearts racing. I heard Josh tell me to "get your gun, he's got a big frame and an inline" I knew all I needed to know.

This big bruiser soaked up 2 rounds from the Ackley at 570 yards before tipping over. When we walked up on him we realized that Josh was wrong about the inline, this buck actually had MATCHING INLINES!
Wvo9diK.jpg

I'll end by saying this; this hunt was truly one for the books, I know that we had a little extra help from a good friend on this one. We were both completely content just getting to spend some time together in the mountains away from all the stresses of life and work, but to knock down TWO great bucks was icing on the cake.

I was able to harvest my best buck to date, two days before the season ended. Even though I saw bucks wider than him, I just couldn't get over how heavy he was. 10 hours after I first laid eyes on him, I was in position and sealed the deal with a 250 yard shot. This guy will share lifelong memories next to my son's buck he took earlier in the hunt!

4d5e79ad887740e9df14a2b525b87f65.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was able to harvest my best buck to date, two days before the season ended. Even though I saw bucks wider than him, I just couldn't get over how heavy he was. 10 hours after I first laid eyes on him, I was in position and sealed the deal with a 250 yard shot. This guy will share lifelong memories next to my son's buck he took earlier in the hunt!

4d5e79ad887740e9df14a2b525b87f65.jpg

I think you made the right choice. That mass is impressive

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This thread’s starting to get really good. With snow coming for Colorado’s 3rd season, might need some popcorn...