South Dakota 15a mule deer

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody hunted it yet this year? Was wondering about deer numbers. A group of us are headed to hunt Wyoming antelope rifle opener but they all plan on heading home Wednesday. I have the rest of the week off and am contemplating buying a South Dakota archery tag and heading east solo for the remainder of the week. I've been researching unit 15a and the blm ground located between old 85 and camp crook rd caught my eye.

It appears that the blm is approximately 5ish miles across but what I couldn't clearly tell from onx or google earth is if there are drivable roads through it. Basically I'm looking for some less accessible ground (aren't we all) to hike into. I've looked over the blm regulations and did see driving on blm ground is prohibited except for designated roads. I'm planning on making some phone calls to the sdgfp biologist tmrw to get their insight but thought I would ask here and maybe get some info from someone who's experienced it.

I've also been looking into some state ground in 53 as plan b but that's farther out of the way and figured I would check into closer units first. Or if anyone has other suggestions I'm all ears lol. Kind of a last minute deal so I'm just trying to cram all the information I can get.

Thanks
Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
As far as I know there aren't any drive able roads on the BLM in Butte Co. There is also a lot of walk in areas in 15a. Don't overlook those. Mule deer population is good and there are a lot of them between 85 and Camp Crook. Would be worth your time to stop.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
bowtech840

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
As far as I know there aren't any drive able roads on the BLM in Butte Co. There is also a lot of walk in areas in 15a. Don't overlook those. Mule deer population is good and there are a lot of them between 85 and Camp Crook. Would be worth your time to stop.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and info!

isu22andy

WKR
Also going with bowtech840. New to Rokslide, spent alot of hours on Hunttalk. Any info we can get is good to know. Is there Dry ice anywhere around in Bell Fourche ?

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I’ll be heading to the same general area around oct 4.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
So I just realized you are the guys I ran into on the side of the road last night! How did you guys do today?

isu22andy

WKR
So I just realized you are the guys I ran into on the side of the road last night! How did you guys do today?

Haha I was wondering if you were on here. We took off yesterday morning and headed for home due to the fog and all the antelopers. Saw your truck in that rough stuff when we did the last chance loop. Howd you do ?

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Haha I was wondering if you were on here. We took off yesterday morning and headed for home due to the fog and all the antelopers. Saw your truck in that rough stuff when we did the last chance loop. Howd you do ?

Ended up about a mile off the road. Saw three good bucks head over to the private. Ended up getting in range of a pair of spikes and some does. Mostly just seeing how close I could get. Tons of people all day Saturday. Didn’t see hardly and people today and the cold front had them on their feet all day. Spit a little snow as well. Ended up spending 3 or so hours stalking on the buck below to 30 yards. Drew and he spun. Released the shot as he turned and missed way wide. He was back in there tonight with another buck so I’ll try the same spot tomorrow. A few miles north of where we talked.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up about a mile off the road. Saw three good bucks head over to the private. Ended up getting in range of a pair of spikes and some does. Mostly just seeing how close I could get. Tons of people all day Saturday. Didn’t see hardly and people today and the cold front had them on their feet all day. Spit a little snow as well. Ended up spending 3 or so hours stalking on the buck below to 30 yards. Drew and he spun. Released the shot as he turned and missed way wide. He was back in there tonight with another buck so I’ll try the same spot tomorrow. A few miles north of where we talked.

43d543e7e65c149c3f6156105a995479.jpg