Weight of a Bone-in Mule Deer Hind Quarter

Once the adrenaline gets pumping, you will be amazed with how much you can move.

I just packed out 111# 9 miles and about 4,500 vertical feet. That was a whole boned out mule deer and camp.

Sucked every minute but that's what Western backpack hunting is. Way more painful to walk back to your truck with an empty pack because you were unsuccessful. Trust me.

Go get 'em!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Do you know what your pack weighed before you added the deer? The reason I ask is that I tried to one-trip my pack out with a mule deer and camp this year and was amazed at how heavy the pack was. I didn't skin the head but did bone everything out. I have an estimate of the total weight but never actually weighed it.

ianpadron

WKR
Yessir.

My pack with rifle attached and no water was 45 pounds. Skull and antlers were 8 (no cape). The rest was boned out meat.
Do you know what your pack weighed before you added the deer? The reason I ask is that I tried to one-trip my pack out with a mule deer and camp this year and was amazed at how heavy the pack was. I didn't skin the head but did bone everything out. I have an estimate of the total weight but never actually weighed it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
I packed my mule deer out last night in one trip. All 4 quarters were bone in plus a bag of tenderloins / backstraps, head and my rifle. Not terribly far, about 2.5 miles and it was a heavy load. No idea my total pack weight, a lot but the kifaru packs nice. It only sucks for a while.

Wrench

WKR
Don't underestimate yourself. When I was 290-300 lbs I was packing bucks out of bad spots. At 265 I drug my camp and a boned out mule buck 7 gps'd miles. I was far from fit, but heavy on endurance and try.

I'd take an extra 20 minutes and bone it out to save 40 lbs of bones.

204guy

WKR
Here's a bone in rear off a mature muledeer, that was rut weary with not much fat on him. A boned out front was 2.25 lbs. I'd figure 2-2.5lbs of bones per quarter.
d9b162c6f4536919d5c7613997d2b499.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I packed out several bucks with the Seek Outside Revolution frame. What i usually do is split the load and make 2 trips. This last one was a ways back in, so i jockeyed the meat as i worked my way out. It gave me some time to catch my breath and let my legs recover as i worked back downhill each time for the load furthest from the trailhead. It worked pretty well and didnt kill me so that i could continue hunting the next day.