What am I forgetting?

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Headed our west for the first time in 2 weeks on a mule deer/pronghorn combo hunt and figured I am probably forgetting something or taking too much. Were staying on the ranch were hunting (4 days hunting, 4 days total travel), so not packing in to camp. Let me know what y'all think.

Pack - EXO 3500
Rifle - Ruger American 308 w/ Vortex Viper 3-9x40
Optics - Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and Ranger 1300
Tags/Licenses

Clothing:
Salomon Boots
FL Pants (2 pair, 1 for travel)
FL boxers
FL lightweight base (3 shirts)
FL Sawtooth mid
FL puffy
Orange hat, gloves and a neck gaiter
Darn tough socks (4 pair for total trip)

Extras:
head lamp
knife
nalgene and/or bladder
trekking poles
sony camera w/ lenses and tripod

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I've had a new box of Federal in my gun case for a month just so i didn't forget.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Game bags or something else to keep the flies off the meat, unless the ranch has a walk in cooler.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
i listed a knife and am taking my benchmade and my hunting partner is taking his tyto.

we are having the meat processed and shipped home.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t know the regs for where you’re going but you have orange gloves, hat, neck gaiter listed but no orange vest?

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t know the regs for where you’re going but you have orange gloves, hat, neck gaiter listed but no orange vest?

My gloves and gaiter are not orange, yet I see how my grammar was misleading. We are hunting on a ranch with a guide not public lands. But I will check into it. Thanks.

isu22andy

WKR
Two things Id get - gloves for your hands for processing . And a small tarp to lay the animal on when if you have to quarter it in the field. Keeps the meat off the dirt and dust. . Im sure theres a way to do this without it , but last year when we quartered our antelope I wish we would of had it .

Yeah a contractor garbage bag isn't a bad idea.
Can cut arm holes and use as rain poncho or cut open and use as a ground tarp to lay meat on.
Another piece of kit I really like is a fleece ear/head band. Can put it around ur ball cap and protect ur ears but not have to switch to a beeny.

EastMT

WKR
If you are hiking a lot, prone to blisters I highly recommend injinji toe sock liners under your darn toughs. Helps a lot to keep the hot spots down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the tips. Wish us luck as were are set to leave in a week.

rbljack

WKR
Good luck..A couple items I didn't see listed: TP and a water filtration set up. May not need the water filter kit though...just depends on the terrain and how far from camp or truck you will be I guess.

netman

WKR
A high quality spotting scope. You cannot see with a 10 power binoculars that you can see with a 20 -60 power spotter. I strained my eyes for days trying to find a good mulie bedded. I finally used my Huskemaw 5x20 rifle scope on 20x to scour the brush for a bedded buck. Once I found him after four days. I laid up and caught him and about 15 other deer bedded behind a small hill out of the strong wind.
He is now enroute to the taxidermist

netman

WKR
I did not have a high quality spotting scope with me this year. I almost bought a Nightforce a couple days before my trip. I cussed myself everyday while hunting. I will have a good spotter next year for sure.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
You need to google a hunting pack list and look it over. I see no rain gear, saw, survival items, first aid components, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk