Idaho Mule Deer Unit 21 vs 30? Leaving this week..

Does anyone have experience in either unit? I was planning on hunting the Wilderness portion of 21, so backpacking in is the plan. I’m not concerned with trophy quality, so much as just having fun. I would also love to get a chance at a bear. I’m still leaning towards 21, but the motorized law in 30 has piqued my interest. I’m leaving Friday. Any insight is certainly appreciated. Thanks fellas and ladies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's solitude you're looking for, you can find plenty where you're thinking of going. My understanding is that the bigger deer often don't migrate into 30 until later, often after the season. The 4 other % normally isn't too good in 30. Trust yourself.

RumLover

FNG
30 was swamped with hunters around Tendoy last year. It was redonculous, couldn't even find a place to park one afternoon. The controlled hunt for elk going on now has the area congested as well. Maybe on the Eastern side of 30 it's better, but the West is to easy to access. Haven't tried 21 yet

270quest

WKR
21 is a zoo...all the local salmon residents hit it hard - especially the roaded areas off the North Fork road. Also, a lot of fisherman on the river drive the roads during the day - "just going for a sunday drive"

If your set on hunting 21, I would look to the north part - Allen Mountain area. I have killed a few good bucks around there in the past...150-160" bucks if you work for it.

Bretak

FNG
We were just in 21 2 weeks ago and had an awfully hard time. Searched several high basins from the north and south ends. Found 3 good bucks in 7 days but Noticed they were staying into the timber at that point maybe due to wolves? Saw all sorts of sign in the high country but it seemed to be void of deer.We wondered if they were up there all summer until shedding their velvet. A local told us they have better luck near the salmon river as they migrate down but I don’t have anything to back that up.