Nevada 071-079, 091 late rifle deer. Jarbridge. Just got tag someone turned in!

npm352

WKR
Hi There,
I just found out four days ago that a hunter gave his/her tag back and I was next. It is the late hunt...Oct 21-Nov 5....in 3 weeks. I hunted the land directly east of Jarbridge on a draw pronghorn hunt 4-5 years ago. It was lonely and desolate, but a good hunt.

I am not a real picky hunter, just looking for a fully mature deer. If he is 160, then awesome.

Any thoughts from those who have spent time there? I saw zero deer while pronghorn hunting, but I was not looking. My thoughts are elk mtn, and north and east of Jarbridge in the foothills. I am a strong hiker and am in good shape. I am not against going into the Jarbridge, but for those who have been there hunting deer or elk, would I be better being mobile and glassing a lot of lower stuff?

Usually I hike way in for deer where I hunt in Idaho (general units where road hunter abound)...when I drew Book Cliffs muzzy deer in Utah, it was apparent to me that traveling and glassing a lot of areas was best, despite that I usually do not like hunting that way.

Would love to hear any thoughts...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

I was in 072 Jarbidge Wilderness for elk mid sept . We saw a few_ mule deer off hummingbird trail head, but weren't really looking for them. No idea the score.Wesaw a few more mulies at other trailheads too, so . they exist • We hiked in few miles and the glassed. Not sure how much luck you' have just glassing lower from roads or short hikes. Jarbidge is steep, beautiful, and worth every ounch of effort. Good luck!

OP
npm352

npm352

WKR
I wanted to put the report up from this....better late than never.

I had a good hunt and got a deer I was happy with. The drought was really tough on antler growth (and likely why the tag holder turned his tag in last minute giving me an opportunity to hunt.) I looked over 12 truly mature mule deer before I found mine and they were all very stunted and crabby. I found this deer out with does mid-day while traveling to another range within the unit. I chased them around until they bedded and was able to get a shot. I was using a Begara B14 HMR in 6.5 cm I had recently gotten and apparently not shot enough. The bolt would only throw a small percentage of empties, something I did not notice sighting in. When I did the bolt for the second shot, I had a bad jam. I figured I short-stroked it, but later found out that it just did not throw shells...they just clicked and fell. I got it sorted and was able to get another in him before he fell. (I sent it to Bergara twice and eventually they figured it out...shot great and shoots even better now that it is broken in, but does need to throw shells, which it does now.)

I hunted to the east of the Jarbridge mostly and a little bit into the wilderness a couple times. I killed outside of the wilderness. Surprisingly, I never saw an elk, but saw a decent amount of deer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201226-110055_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201226-110055_Gallery.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 97