Montana 270-50 Advice or suggestions

Crapshoot

WKR
Montana 270 Advice or suggestions

Leaving in a few weeks for a Mule Deer hunt in Montana, zone 270. Anyone with input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mtmuley

WKR
Tough tag to draw. You waited too long to get info. Good unit, not as good as it used to be, but scouting would have helped. mtmuley

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely would have taken a trip and scouted atleast once, makes me cringe to waste your opportunity. Very tough tag to draw like mtmuley said...

sneaky

"DADDY"
I saw slammer bucks right across the road from 270, but no way would I wait til a week before the season to ask for info. There's good bucks in there, but they aren't behind every burnt tree

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NLaudy

FNG
Definitely waited a little long to ask for info. However being he is from NC... it is hard to get boots on the ground. I looked at doing a scouting mission earlier this year from Virginia. By the time I crunched all the numbers with airfare, car rental, gas, food, etc... I was well over $2,000. That is hard to swallow for a lot of people. Even driving it is 30 hours one way so not any cheaper.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt put in for tags expecting to get your scouting and information from forums or other people, but that's just my opinion. if I am putting in for a tag, regardless of price or distance, I am going to be prepared well ahead of time. Like more than a week ahead...

NLaudy

FNG
There is no saying that he is or isn't prepared. I didn't get that from the original post. Heck I leave in a week for my Montana hunt and even though I "think" I am mostly prepared I am still all ears for suggestions, tips, and input. I think that is what these forums are great about. You get to bounce ideas off of people and hear their input.

I definitely think (atleast for me) the closer the trip gets the more antsy we get. Sometimes you just want to hear from people who have been there and done it even if it is just a "Great area and you should do well and have a lot of fun". Just my worthless .02 cents.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You realize how difficult it is to draw a 270 tag? NR I think they do 1 or 2 a year, with a couple thousand applications. I'd make a trip with those odds. The unit I spent time in for elk is a less than 1.5% chance to draw... for residents for deer. 270 is worse than that.
Definitely waited a little long to ask for info. However being he is from NC... it is hard to get boots on the ground. I looked at doing a scouting mission earlier this year from Virginia. By the time I crunched all the numbers with airfare, car rental, gas, food, etc... I was well over $2,000. That is hard to swallow for a lot of people. Even driving it is 30 hours one way so not any cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtmuley

WKR
That tag is probaby once in a lifetime for a non resident. How he prepared is his business, but it's not a slam dunk hunt. I'm still wiondering why no more posts from the OP. His best bet now is to wait for the rut. mtmuley

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
That tag is probaby once in a lifetime for a non resident. How he prepared is his business, but it's not a slam dunk hunt. I'm still wiondering why no more posts from the OP. His best bet now is to wait for the rut. mtmuley

Its basically once in a lifetime for us residents too.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I had a resident buddy with that tag last year, good hunter and he struggled, ended up with a 175 but he said it was far and above the largest buck he saw, and he looked over a lot of bucks. Good luck on the hunt and have fun I hope you whack a good one and share some pictures with us.