Montana 270-50 Advice or suggestions

I've never hunted 270 but will say this: a lot of people have a misconception that rut hunting is easy and even big bucks will act stupid. That is not the case. Hunt hard and hunt smart. If you drive around glassing meadows waiting for a 200" buck to appear at midday, you're going to be disappointed.

OP
C

Crapshoot

WKR
Back in MT. next week. So far 1 bull and 1 cow Elk for my group of 4. Saw 10 to 20 deer each day. Most Bucks were 150 to 170 class but I did see 1 monster while setting up on the small herd where we took the bull Elk (325 score ). I will keep you informed.

Back in MT. next week. So far 1 bull and 1 cow Elk for my group of 4. Saw 10 to 20 deer each day. Most Bucks were 150 to 170 class but I did see 1 monster while setting up on the small herd where we took the bull Elk (325 score ). I will keep you informed.

No shot at the "monster"?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No shot on monster, I was setting up a tri pod for my 83 year old father to shot at his bull elk.
Did he connect on the bull? How many chances do you get at 83? Awesome no matter the outcome. Hopefully karma will reward you next week.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eoperator

WKR
I saw a 30+" dandy on the south side of the CB ranch next to the road last weekend if you have connections for access

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Like belly-deep said, rut hunting can be overrated. But it sounds like you’ve already seen one monster, and it should just be getting better and better over the next 10 days with the rut peaking. Keep us posted man, post us any photos you can. This is a once-in-a-lifetime for us too, ha ha

and super deal on the grandpa getting a bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talked to a guy with that tag that hunted 31 full days, looked at 151 bucks, never saw one over 170.

OP
C

Crapshoot

WKR
Finished off all our Elk tags on the last morning of our hunting days. Thus I had to settle for a 165 score Mule deer that last evening. Shot it behind the gate at Little Sleeping Child.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Talked to a guy with that tag that hunted 31 full days, looked at 151 bucks, never saw one over 170.

very interesting

Finished off all our Elk tags on the last morning of our hunting days. Thus I had to settle for a 165 score Mule deer that last evening. Shot it behind the gate at Little Sleeping Child.

165 is still a nice deer - any pics?

very interesting

165 is still a nice deer - any pics?

This guy told me that the biologist told him that the bucks weren't as big here as they used to be. Told him to pass up 170 class deer, but not to expect any 190s. He held out to his last day, and shot a 168ish buck. He showed me lots of pictures of bucks he passed on, Lots of 150 ish deer, nothing like it used to be.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
This guy told me that the biologist told him that the bucks weren't as big here as they used to be. Told him to pass up 170 class deer, but not to expect any 190s. He held out to his last day, and shot a 168ish buck. He showed me lots of pictures of bucks he passed on, Lots of 150 ish deer, nothing like it used to be.

Thats what I found interesting...just the decline in that unit over the years. Used to be giants coming out of there...