Ne new mexico rut

swampokie

WKR
My son has a deer tag for thanksgiving timeframe in ne nm. Ive only hunted the late October season in this area and wondered if the rut would be swinging during thanksgiving week.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
It's generally thought the rut in that corner of the world ramps up after Thanksgiving, specifically early December.

Last year I watched a buck harass a hot doe on December 3rd but saw several other groups of does with no bucks around.

I feel like you and I hunt the same units lol. Good luck to you. I'll be out with my fiancé this weekend searching for bucks.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
While hunting last weekend one herd of 13 deer had five bucks, two of which were very nice. However one huge buck was by himself (and also sprinting for his life). I imagine in a few weeks things might be a little more interesting.

appaloosa

FNG
I shot a huge buck in 2b several years ago that was in full rut mode on Nov 7th. The consensus from everyone i talked to was that was early, but he didn't seem to care.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Was down in SE NM this week. I saw one buck that was with a group of does early then two groups of does bed down in the morning not to move or be harassed until I moved on after noon. The buck I got was by himself with two smaller bucks bedded on the next hill over. They all looked like they were just taking it easy. We have a cold front moving across here with possible snow and cold temps for the next couple days so that may help them get in the mood.

OP
S

swampokie

WKR
While hunting last weekend one herd of 13 deer had five bucks, two of which were very nice. However one huge buck was by himself (and also sprinting for his life). I imagine in a few weeks things might be a little more interesting.

Any luck?

OP
S

swampokie

WKR
Well the rut wasn't on in ne new mexico. We Walked 15 miles and saw 5 deer in three days. All the deer within 10 miles were congregated on an alfalfa field on dry cimmaron. Really tuff this trip. I usually see a lot of deer on the late October hunt.

No OTC tags for public land. Others may know better than me but rarely, if ever, are any tags available in leftover for mule deer.

Thanks...that’s what I had thought. Just confirming my homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does NM do any OTC and or leftover tags for muledeer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this thread was started a while back, but I've digging for info on NE New Mexico. But I can weigh-in on your question. No OTC, and according to a former NM Game Commissioner I had the privilege of hunting bison with last week there's VERY few leftover tags, and the ones that are are snatched up within minutes of them going on sale. Hope this helps!

OP
S

swampokie

WKR
I think residents get the first 24 hours of leftovers and the decent ones are gone in a few minutes