Idaho Help??

huntndad

FNG
I know asking for help about where to hunt is frowned upon, but I'm in a pickle and willing to take any negative comments. I planned a hunt for 5 of us to se Idaho. The party includes my 11 year old son looking for his first deer and my 75 year old father who doesn't get around too well. I decided on a unit in the SE that I felt they could get out and walk trails and ridges, but nothing too extreme. I acquired maps, spoke with people who had hunted the unit, and spent hours on Google Earth. The plan was set. We were heading over with the camper this evening and hunting until the 24th. Unfortunately, plans change. a member of our party now can't get off work until next week. I need to find a unit that is open later, like to the 31st. I'm definitely not looking for any specific location, but a general new starting point. I've scoured over Idaho hunt planner, and have a few units in the central part of the state that look possible. I just don't want to end up some place that has ATVs running all over or is too extreme for my old man. I've also considered heading north and trying for a whitetail. However, all the info I can find about whitetail talks about the November hunt. Are they too difficult to hunt in October?
I know I kind of rambled, but any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

The trying to keep the country easier part severely limits your options. Hunting with the old guys is great but just know where you're at. Finding a place in Central Idaho that isn't steep and isn't overrun with people would be darn tough.

I think you might want to look at 39 or 43. Most people would not want to hunt in the places near roads there. Crazy amounts of people but also decent amount of a deer if you get lucky in a spot, and there are a few places that wouldn't be so steep.

You can PM me.

Can dad hunt in the easier place you planned on and then you guys go steeper and deeper afterwards after the 24th?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Whitetail could be an option, but yes, they rut here usually mid November so that’s when most people hunt them. There are some decent units that have mule deer and a much longer season, but terrain will be more challenging. Assuming your not all going to be in one big hunting group all day though, you will be able to split up and have your dad walk easier terrain. It wouldn’t be too bad. I would just find an area that doesn’t have an elk rifle hunt at the same time, unless it’s a draw. Otherwise it will be overloaded with people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

huntndad

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I never considered the elk hunters, so I'll definitely look for areas with out any. Units 39, 43 and 49 were on my short list. Even though they have a lot of hunters, they seem to have enough deer if your willing to work. We are actually considering heading to our original destination for a few days and then hitting one of the other units for the last couple days. Again, thanks for the replies.

If your looking for a spot in 43 I can tell you right where to go fornyour boy to atleast get a doe. I saw over 60 does in one day the ridges arnt to steep but there are alot of hunters. Maybe that late into october there could be a couple bucks hanging around. Feel free to pm me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you willing to risk the success of your dad and son for one person? Sounds like the one who can't get off work could meet up with y'all later. I'd make sure my priorities were my 75 year old dad first, 11 year old second, and everyone else after that. Never know if your dad will be able to do it again. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04