First Mule hunt in Colorado

overland

FNG
First Mule (doe) hunt in Colorado

Howdy,

Thanks to everyone for such a great site... I've learned a lot from the group!

So, I'm going on my first mule hunt mid November. I'm a little nervous about finding them as I can only head out for the last weekend of 3rd rifle season. My fear is that most will be pushed out by that time of year.

I hunted elk in this unit earlier this year (no luck with elk) and saw a lot of deer (and moose!). Now, a few weeks later in deer season, my friends up there are seeing less deer than I did.

What sort of patterns do mule deer does have that late in the season? A couple weeks ago, I spotted several groups while driving deep around the mountains in my unit.

I have an antlerless tag, btw.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

davsco

WKR
what unit(s)? i was out there for first rifle elk (also struck out) and went up roan creek road from debeque off 70 to the end and a couple farms there had a metric crapload of muley's all over. not sure if this was a high fence area or what, but wow, tons of muleys and some monsters at that. sorry, zero input on muley patterns or anything else muley-related. good luck.

Bulldawg

WKR
Howdy,

Thanks to everyone for such a great site... I've learned a lot from the group!

So, I'm going on my first mule hunt mid November. I'm a little nervous about finding them as I can only head out for the last weekend of 3rd rifle season. My fear is that most will be pushed out by that time of year.

I hunted elk in this unit earlier this year (no luck with elk) and saw a lot of deer (and moose!). Now, a few weeks later in deer season, my friends up there are seeing less deer than I did.

What sort of patterns do mule deer does have that late in the season? A couple weeks ago, I spotted several groups while driving deep around the mountains in my unit.

I have an antlerless tag, btw.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

For a doe third season, I’d be driving the roads and find one grazing not far off and shoot that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

overland

FNG
Thanks, guys.

I'll be in unit 18; planning on being in the area north of Hot Sulphur Springs and Parshall.

Are they more likely to hang out at lower elevations at this time?

Thanks, guys.

I'll be in unit 18; planning on being in the area north of Hot Sulphur Springs and Parshall.

Are they more likely to hang out at lower elevations at this time?

They are in multiple locations. There are some low, some on private, and still some mid mountain. Shot a doe this morning near the unit your hunting in. If you’ve done your homework then you shouldn’t have a problem.

71CJ5

FNG
I agree with Lone Hunter. You could probably spear a doe in the majority of CO units. Best of luck!

OP
O

overland

FNG
Thanks! I saw two on my drive into my camping spot. Pretty excited!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This time of year they will be in aspen sage habitat at or near their winter range. Check the lower BLM type land. Probably could shoot one witin a few hundred yards of a road no problem.

There’s your recipe.

Depending on where you were hunting elk, I highly doubt there will be deer there now. Everything has changed in just the last few weeks, so don’t get hung up looking where you saw a deer earlier this fall is all I’m saying.

OP
O

overland

FNG
Thanks guys. Proud and happy to say I got my first deer!

Wish I knew how to post a pic here but I am very grateful of a successful hunt.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. Proud and happy to say I got my first deer!

Wish I knew how to post a pic here but I am very grateful of a successful hunt.

Welcome to mule deer hunting and congrats on your deer

Fellow member SHTF put up this tutorial last year. Everyone I’ve sent it to said it worked. You’re gonna need how to post photos!
How to Post Pictures using IMGUR

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully it went something like this.

"I woke up and was pondering how to hunt my pre e-scouted area that I had learned from google earth, ON X Maps, Go hunt, Huntin' Fool, and all possible internet forums I could create an account on. I had just finished my mountain ops pre-hunt protein shake and took off into the darkness. I hiked for approximately 7 miles and reached my glassing titty right at daylight. I pulled out the Swarovski BTX 95 and started to pick apart the country. At this time, I had another Mountain Ops protein shake and took a few selfies to post to Instagram. I used approximately 42 hash tags. As the sun lit up the canyon, I found a very nice looking doe that would feed my family with the greatest and bestest organic meat on planet earth. I pulled out my $4,000 custom made 6.5 creedmor (the most awesomest and powerful gun on the market today) and got a range on this meaty critter. I ranged it at 748 yards, and noticed there was a slight breeze. I thought, probably not the best shot, but screw it, no way I can get closer to this beast without it seeing me. I held the crosshairs somewhere above her back, and said a little prayer "dear baby jesus, please let this bullet find it's mark so I can post Instagram photos of the backstraps and make 30 more hashtags about it. Please let Eva Shockey see my post about the organic meat. Maybe she will send me a DM?!" Miraculously, at the report of the rifle, the deer didn't move an inch. I decided to let two more fly, and the deer walked into some timber. I could not tell if it was a hit or not. I decided to load everything up into my Kifaru 10,000 and go over there to see if I had a dead doe over there. I make it halfway over to where the deer was standing, and I feel exhausted. I pull out another Mountain Ops product and chug it down. How could I live without that stuff? I continue on my journey and see a couple of younger looking does above the aspens. I creep into the timber and see the doe stand up, she's hit hard but still managed to get to her feet. One shot with the 6.5 creed super magnum and the beast was down. I started field dressing the deer and took 137 photos and posted 4 to the gram. I was close to 200 hashtags at this point and really getting a lot of followers. I bone out this humongous doe and began the pack out. Approximately 300 yards into the packout, I was feeling weak and decided to have some more Mountain ops. I made it back to the truck just before sundown, what a relief! I could not have done this hunt without ONxMap, Go Hunt and Toprut. I owe everyone a huge thank you. My family will now make it through the winter. #beastmode"

In all seriousness, congrats on your first deer Overland. I just have had too much coffee this morning and am cracking myself up. I know it can be hard to go into a new area and find deer. You did good.

PredatorX

WKR
If it was me though....I would have stood at the top of that peak (14'er), rifle held up and yelled out Creedmoooooor, echoing into the canyons below.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OFFHNTN

WKR
Hopefully it went something like this.

"I woke up and was pondering how to hunt my pre e-scouted area that I had learned from google earth, ON X Maps, Go hunt, Huntin' Fool, and all possible internet forums I could create an account on. I had just finished my mountain ops pre-hunt protein shake and took off into the darkness. I hiked for approximately 7 miles and reached my glassing titty right at daylight. I pulled out the Swarovski BTX 95 and started to pick apart the country. At this time, I had another Mountain Ops protein shake and took a few selfies to post to Instagram. I used approximately 42 hash tags. As the sun lit up the canyon, I found a very nice looking doe that would feed my family with the greatest and bestest organic meat on planet earth. I pulled out my $4,000 custom made 6.5 creedmor (the most awesomest and powerful gun on the market today) and got a range on this meaty critter. I ranged it at 748 yards, and noticed there was a slight breeze. I thought, probably not the best shot, but screw it, no way I can get closer to this beast without it seeing me. I held the crosshairs somewhere above her back, and said a little prayer "dear baby jesus, please let this bullet find it's mark so I can post Instagram photos of the backstraps and make 30 more hashtags about it. Please let Eva Shockey see my post about the organic meat. Maybe she will send me a DM?!" Miraculously, at the report of the rifle, the deer didn't move an inch. I decided to let two more fly, and the deer walked into some timber. I could not tell if it was a hit or not. I decided to load everything up into my Kifaru 10,000 and go over there to see if I had a dead doe over there. I make it halfway over to where the deer was standing, and I feel exhausted. I pull out another Mountain Ops product and chug it down. How could I live without that stuff? I continue on my journey and see a couple of younger looking does above the aspens. I creep into the timber and see the doe stand up, she's hit hard but still managed to get to her feet. One shot with the 6.5 creed super magnum and the beast was down. I started field dressing the deer and took 137 photos and posted 4 to the gram. I was close to 200 hashtags at this point and really getting a lot of followers. I bone out this humongous doe and began the pack out. Approximately 300 yards into the packout, I was feeling weak and decided to have some more Mountain ops. I made it back to the truck just before sundown, what a relief! I could not have done this hunt without ONxMap, Go Hunt and Toprut. I owe everyone a huge thank you. My family will now make it through the winter. #beastmode"

In all seriousness, congrats on your first deer Overland. I just have had too much coffee this morning and am cracking myself up. I know it can be hard to go into a new area and find deer. You did good.

LMAO!

To the OP, congrats on your deer! Let's see a pic!