Help me find a buck! CO 3rd Rifle

Well guys, I need some strategy help. This is my 3rd year in a row hunting this tag, 3rd season CO buck tag.

First Ill start with what Ive been doing: Hunting from 8500-9500 ft in the Oaks and Pines. I have had no problem locating does. Probably seen close to 50 in the last 3 days. We have a good amount of snow up high so i expect deer to be lower by now. I have shadowed the does and glassed the cover around them but just cant turn up a buck.

Are they still in bachelor groups?
Should I keep with my same area and wait it out?
What should I change up?

Jimss

WKR
What is the hunting pressure like? It doesn't take long for bucks to figure out that they get shot if they hang out with does. Monster bucks during rifle season on heavily hunted public land in Colo may be with does during the night and head to seclusion during the day. You may also need to get into the roughest, most isolated country in your hunting area.

OP
durangobrad
What is the hunting pressure like? It doesn't take long for bucks to figure out that they get shot if they hang out with does. Monster bucks during rifle season on heavily hunted public land in Colo may be with does during the night and head to seclusion during the day. You may also need to get into the roughest, most isolated country in your hunting area.

The hunting pressure is definitely a factor. Its been very dark with almost no moon so I figured I would see some movement more during the dawn and dusk time, but nothing. Im not after a "monster buck" really just any buck will do.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You might be a little high, if there’s any public land that has Oakbrush and Aspen, and isn’t just hammered by roads, give that a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
durangobrad
You might be a little high, if there’s any public land that has Oakbrush and Aspen, and isn’t just hammered by roads, give that a shot.

Just looked back at some of my track and topo maps and I have been down as low as 7800. Ive been swimming through nasty oakbrush to get to the "softer" spots and breaks to where I might have a shot at something. Thats where Ive found the does, just cant seam to turn up a buck. Most everything lower in this unit is either private or littered with roads.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most everything lower in this unit is either private or littered with roads.

Normally when I'm archery elk hunting I see a bunch of really nice bucks down in the hay fields when I drive up or down. That's in August and Sept. I would imagine that they're still hanging out down there now, especially with snow up high. It's still a little early, but eventually those bucks will go to where the does are.

Last year during 4th season in GMU 74 we were finding deer at the top of La Plata canyon at 11,000 feet in 12" of snow

OP
durangobrad
I stuck to my original area, after trying a couple other spots. I figured if I stayed near the does, Mr buck would show up eventually.
c03effce3edab8ae0d6153e776f6e5f7.jpg
5b6810f532df86c6c3963dccbfaadef9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good job man. And you’re right, always wise to check on the does.

topher89

WKR
Awesome!

I hunted a different unit but had a similar experience during 3rd season. We were into does constantly but the bucks were hard to locate.