First mule deer hunt in Montana

success

WKR
Here is a link to a thread i started on another site. It includes a general gear list.

2018 Montana mule deer hunt | TigerDroppings.com

Here is the main info if you’re offended to click the link. The gear list is still in the link:

Leaving tomorrow at 5pm. 30 hour drive. I plan to update the thread as we go. The plan is hunt Friday to Friday. It’ll be my first trip but the third for the guys I’ll be with. Weather looks like it will be pretty cold with a solid wind most days. Forecast calls for snow tomorrow and Saturday. Wish me luck.

11/8
Got to Lakewood, CO around 330. Rented a f250 4x4. 10 more hours to Lewistown, MT. Plan to hunt first thing tomorrow am.
zHk1DhF.png

11/9 330am
Just got here. Called earlier and they had rooms. We were gonna get one a day early. Now there are none. Gonna sleep in the truck for a couple of hours before heading out.
424OXtG.jpg

Same a few groups of does and 2 bucks in the am. One was a 2x2. The other was bigger. Couldn’t get a count Bc he was booking it over a ridge. I realized today how out of shape I am. Those hills at that elevation are no joke. In the evening, we went to a different place. We saw 4 bucks rutting around. They were at 700yds. A 4x3, a huge 3x3, 2 2x2s. The 4x3 was cool looking. My buddy wanted to get a shot at it but it was getting too late to cut down the distance.
ZR4UEsu.jpg

11/10
Woke up to this:
lRlH56F.jpg
v7hwBBR.jpg

6” of fresh snow. The temps were not that bad considering it was snowing. Much colder the am before. We went to the same spot we saw the 4 bucks. Didn’t see shit all day. Snowed again this evening. Good learning experiences these past 2 days. Fun to hunt in actual snow.

11/11
Another snowy day. Two snowstorms this am. Visibility was cut down tremendously. I’ve never been in snow like this before. We left around 1130 after only seeing a small 2x2. Came back after lunch and one in our party shot the first buck. This guy stayed out there all day. He saw a bunch of deer moving once the snow stopped falling. Learning new things every day I’m out there. Can’t get enough of this.

11/12
Woke up to snow again. Temp was -2 in the truck. Me and another guy decided to go out and stay all day. Not leaving for lunch. I ended up walking almost 8 miles. I saw a ton of deer today. The snow storms were over. Temps rose to low 30s by midday. Deer were definitely more active in the warmer temps. Lots of does in the am. After lunch, I happened to see the biggest deer of my life. This guy was a monster. He was less than 100yards from me. All I could see was his tail and neck up. Big thick neck and nice wide and tall 4x4. I tried to retreat and get low but there was no where to hide. He let me get my pack off and gun out but then jumped away through the evergreens. I tried to follow his track in the trees but there was tracks everywhere. I jumped 2 does and followed them a good ways. They ended up learning me to a small 2x2. That was it for the day.
wSSXUnu.jpg

11/13
We went to the same spot we went the first hunt. Lots and lots of hills. I felt like i was gonna die the first day Bc of the walking and altitude. I planned to go to an area I went the first day that looked good. Big valley in front of some thick evergreens. On the way out, I jumped a 2x2. Got to my hill and got ready for the long haul. Saw 2 does right off the bat. Watched them bed down in the snow. Hoping a buck would come out. About 2 hours later, I noticed a buck and 2 different does. I could tell the buck was at least a 3x3. I thought maybe a 3x4, but tall. I ranged the deer at 750 yds. Made my way down my hill and up another. Ranged at 271. The deer were hugged up next to another hill and by some trees. I got set up and took a shot. Missed. The deer just walked past the trees. Took a second shot and the buck went down but I could see him trying to move. I hit him in his rear hind quarter. I didn’t take in to account the 20mph winds with 30mph+ gusts. I moved in a little closer and took another shot and this time he was dead. I was a little over a mile from the truck as the crow flies. I field dressed the deer and packed the meat up to haul it out. It took me about 45 mins to make it back to the truck. I felt like I was gonna die. My pack weighed about 30# without the meat. I assume I was carrying 70-80lbs.
HLEYEBr.jpg
C92Qwwc.jpg

On the way To the motel, a friend shot a really nice 4x4. Really wide. That night we decided to camp out and try out some gear we bought. On the way to the site, a buddy shot a nice 4x4 in a public field on the side the road. And close to dark, another friend shot his 4x4.

Camping was cool. It was windy and cold. Temps in low 30s. I was in a 4 season tent and was protected from the wind. But I kept sliding off my mat which caused that body part to freeze. Overall, we had a good time camping.

11/14
We decided to leave late that night Bc of a bad snow storm moving in. That afternoon, the last guy in our group got his buck. A nice tall 3x3. I was ready to hit the road after a long 5 days of hunting and 2 days on the road.

On the way home, I ended up having a blow out on one of my front tires. We changed it without issue. That was the only real hiccup.

Trip was great. I learned a lot. Looking forward to next year.

Last edited:

Brianb3

WKR
Congrats. It’s a long ass ways to eastern Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isu22andy

WKR
Cool post, got any pictures of your buddies bucks ? Little different from the Louisiana weather Im sure .

OP
S

success

WKR
Cool post, got any pictures of your buddies bucks ? Little different from the Louisiana weather Im sure .

273d339c66d997b57c4924bced2ca7de.jpg

Here’s two more already mounted. I gotta figure out how to edit the guys out the other pics then I’ll post.

Gumbo

WKR
Nicely done, glad you enjoyed your hunt. I enjoyed your post and hope you follow up with another next year.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Journeyman, in case you missed my PM: while it is weird when they link another forum, starting off calling someone a lazy ass and criticizing him as only wanting “atta boys” is a far greater offense on Rokslide.

This is your warning. Please don’t do it again. If your wondering about a particular post or thread as appropriate, ask a mod before you attack.

I’ve deleted your posts and a few of the counter ones from the other side

Thanks for your attention in this matter.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Congratulations Success,

We were in the same general area during the same time frame but were in the breaks. We missed the storms and did not know it had snowed until we came out. What a shock. Nights were about 7 and days would warm up to 25. Wasn't bad, just had a hard time keeping the water thawed out.

Blu

OP
S

success

WKR
my water froze the first day which sucked. My buddy had to use the bathroom only to find his wet wipes had frozen and about 3 sheets of tp. very cold the first couple days.

hobbes

WKR
Congrats! I was hunting MT muleys during the same time in a different location. We didn't have as much snow, but had our share of wind.

hobbes

WKR
Took a buddy with me that is relatively new to hunting and we found him a buck on the 10th that we put a successful stalk on. I should have killed a nice 4 pt on the 11th but hesitated too long trying to make sure I wanted to kill him. I saw two other bucks that I'd have shot, one on the 12th and one on the 14th, but both slipped away. We saw quite a bit of rutting action, quite a few small bucks, and a couple borderline bucks that I chose not to go after. It was a fun hunt, but I didn't have to travel as far as you.

OP
S

success

WKR
Took a buddy with me that is relatively new to hunting and we found him a buck on the 10th that we put a successful stalk on. I should have killed a nice 4 pt on the 11th but hesitated too long trying to make sure I wanted to kill him. I saw two other bucks that I'd have shot, one on the 12th and one on the 14th, but both slipped away. We saw quite a bit of rutting action, quite a few small bucks, and a couple borderline bucks that I chose not to go after. It was a fun hunt, but I didn't have to travel as far as you.

Yea. After 30 hours drive and 3 days of not seeing much, my anxiety was up and patience wearing thin. I took the first shooter I saw. My buddies all shot later that day or the next. If I had waited I would have got a better buck. But I really enjoyed my hunt that day. Never did anything like that before. Being by myself was very rewarding. Field dressing it and hiking it over a mile made me feel good about it.

Regarding the rut, the deer definitely were NOT active while the temps were below 30 with snow falling. They didn’t ramp up moving around until it was in the upper 30s low 40s. And overall they didn’t appear to be rutting. A lot of single bucks and doe pairs and trips running around.

hobbes

WKR
There was no doubt that the deer we're rutting during those days. Couldn't tell you why you didn't witness the same. In addition, the cold did not slow down the deer that we were on. The wind may have had some affect but not the cold. We saw temps from 9 to almost 50.

OP
S

success

WKR
There was no doubt that the deer we're rutting during those days. Couldn't tell you why you didn't witness the same. In addition, the cold did not slow down the deer that we were on. The wind may have had some affect but not the cold. We saw temps from 9 to almost 50.

Man I wished I had experienced that. The guys I were with went the same time last year and they felt it wasn’t the same. Last year they all shot within 2 days of being there. They said bucks were running around crazy after the does.

hobbes

WKR
Your weather was worse than ours, so I'm sure that played a role. Good luck next year if you come back.

Brianb3

WKR
My Montana experience was..... 10* sleeping in the back of the truck for 2 days. Saw 3sets of deer throughout the first day. four bucks 3 pushing does late first evening saw what I thought to be a wide tall buck at 2k yards. He pushed his doe to 150 yards. Took him home. He was a 3 150 maybe with super small ears cause he is 1.5” past his ears. BUT Lost my phone w my late fathers medical bracelet in the shooting shuffle. I’m glad he got to be with me on one last hunt he will always be with me. Pretty special deer to me. Congrats to all who got to get out this late season. I will be east of Missoula next year. That was fun.