First Montana mule deer!

Just got home from my Solo Montana mule deer hunt and I've learned a lot from all the post's from everyone and thank you rokslide for having such a great forum for us to come to.
Buck came up thru brush draw tailing two doe's 162 yard off hand shot. Got it done on first day the last 25 min of day. Had a 4 1/2 -5 mile pack out with full mule deer in mystery ranch popup 28.
Was going to do 1/2 load at a time until a pack of coyotes stared howling while I was field dressing deer and was looking down at me from top of mountain LOL, so deboned and packed all out.
Had an awesome hunt.

Attachments

• thumbnail (10).jpg
    thumbnail (10).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 443
  • thumbnail (11).jpg
    thumbnail (11).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 451
  • thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 375
  • thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 340
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 310

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lovin’ this! Thanks for all the pics and congrats. You’re over the hump, easier from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rockcrawler
Thanks! This was my third outwest hunt finally sealed the deal super excited for next year.

OP
rockcrawler
Thanks all ! , DIY all the way for me.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

OP
rockcrawler
Just some old fashioned jump shooting. Shot him in the shoulder and then in the neck before he got down into the thick brush.

OP
rockcrawler
Pack held up really well it was definitely loaded heavier than when I tested with my 90 lb son in it.
5edccd0165d1f40f356afcc2c8926f30.jpg

KyleR1985

WKR
Congrats on your hunt!

I've got the same pack and have been trying to decide whether or not to get a full size frame for an elk hunt. I've put 70lbs or so of gear and whitetail boned out in it.

How much weight do you think you packed out on this trip? You mentioned the bag held up well - any complaints?

OP
rockcrawler
About 20 lbs of gear and water. I say about 70 lbs meat cape and head. I'd guess 90lbs 6 miles out from truck.
I arrived back at truck at 1am.
The pack held up really well for how small it is. I did move up to a mystery ranch selway 60l. Only because I wanted to bring an overnight sleep system if I need it.

KyleR1985

WKR
About 20 lbs of gear and water. I say about 70 lbs meat cape and head. I'd guess 90lbs 6 miles out from truck.
I arrived back at truck at 1am.
The pack held up really well for how small it is. I did move up to a mystery ranch selway 60l. Only because I wanted to bring an overnight sleep system if I need it.

Thanks for the response. Like I said I felt fine with about 70 or so in it, I just got worried if I pushed on towards 80+ with an elk quarter and a little gear, I might top it out. It looks like I should be more worried about locating an elk to poke a hole in it than I am about my pack handling hauling.

Cheers!