South Dakota

Anyone give me info for hunting South Dakota as an Non Resident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bowjunky39
Whitetail and elk I am new here I think I might have posted this in the wrong areas! Sorry

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
Whitetail and elk I am new here I think I might have posted this in the wrong areas! Sorry

Just a heads up SD does not allow for non-resident elk hunting. Lots of opportunities for deer with a bow.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
As said, no elk for non residents.

A lot of whitetail opportunities. Are you interested in size or numbers? Any part of the state you are closer to or prefer?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
bowjunky39
Interested in size preferably I live in Dallas area. Also with archery deer tag does that include mule deer?

slick

WKR
Interested in size preferably I live in Dallas area. Also with archery deer tag does that include mule deer?

Yes.
5e6795b69a86ea05a6ab38ff3da4c7ba.jpg

Page 16/17 of their application packet

OP
bowjunky39
Thank you Slick I appreciate, so are these otc or draw in South Dakota?

jmez

WKR
They are unlimited but not otc. You have to apply through game and fish and they mail out tags.

OP
bowjunky39
Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it and good luck to all of you.

slick

WKR
No sweat. Update this thread if any more questions come up. If you make it up there, be sure to post photos.

jmez

WKR
We generally use East river and West river in defining South Dakota. Simply east and west of the MO river which divides the state in half. East river is predominantly row crop country and west river is predominantly range and grasslands. The Black Hills are also west river which is just a miniature version of the Rocky Mountains.

Mule deer are predominantly found west river. WT's are found on both but the bigger deer are going to be east river. The Black Hills is predominantly WT's, there are huge numbers but no real size.

Archery hunting west river can be difficult if there are no creeks or rivers as it is wide open country with very few trees. A lot of the trees that are there are small and not suitable for a stand.

After threatening to buy that tag for three years, I finally did it this fall. I spent 4.5 days out there getting schooled while trying to hunt whitetails on the ground with my bow. I saw deer every day but was unable to notch a tag. Targeting mulies probably would have been more productive but I really wanted a whitetail. It was the first week of November and the bucks were definitely starting to feel the rut (both whitetail and mule deer). If possible, I'm going to make another run at them before the season closes, even if just to find a doe for the freezer. If it doesn't work out, I'll be back next year maybe with a rifle...

OP
bowjunky39
Thanks for the info that helped a lot I was about to ask that exact question. So when I put in for tag do I have apply for a certain area or is tag good for any unit? So if you were hunting WT you would go east for bigger but there more deer in west river. I thinking west river so I can hunt mule and WT.

QUOTE=jmez;1063405]We generally use East river and West river in defining South Dakota. Simply east and west of the MO river which divides the state in half. East river is predominantly row crop country and west river is predominantly range and grasslands. The Black Hills are also west river which is just a miniature version of the Rocky Mountains.

Mule deer are predominantly found west river. WT's are found on both but the bigger deer are going to be east river. The Black Hills is predominantly WT's, there are huge numbers but no real size.

Archery hunting west river can be difficult if there are no creeks or rivers as it is wide open country with very few trees. A lot of the trees that are there are small and not suitable for a stand.[/QUOTE]

jmez

WKR
Not necessarily more deer west river until you get into the Black Hills. The hills are loaded with WT, they just aren't very big.

If you want to hunt both your better off west river. There is also a lot more public land west river.

There are three types of archery tags, statewide, east river and west river. You can get one of the three. All three allow you to take a WT or a mulie. Just get the statewide and then you have access to entire state.

OP
bowjunky39
Thanks I appreciate it the info. Statewide it will be

Thanks I appreciate it the info. Statewide it will be

If you’re still in the Dallas area I used to live and work all over SD and could give you a lot of info. Still got family and friends up there. Let me know if you are still in need of info