Wyoming point problem

JP20

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have 10 deer points and they’re burning a hole in my pocket. But it seems most people I talk to keep telling me there’s nothing worth burning em for? I’d love to hear some suggestions or ideas that differ from what I’m being told. Thanks for any insight into this. Also I’d prefer a diy hunt and I’m not afraid to do a backpack hunt to get away from people.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
They’re telling you the truth. 10 points is not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Depends on your expectations, Only you can define that. Me with 10 I would be inclined to sit on them. G and H took a beating, but no doubt there are other regions.
The issue for me is if I am dumping 10 points in a unit that present conditions make my expectations about the same other states that I could get similar result on a tag that was OTC for a point or two. Why burn the points then. Keep your powder dry and wait till you can get a better return

ORHunter

WKR
I'm in the same boat with 11 for elk & deer in WY. The best option seems to be bringing someone along for a trip to G.....or sit on them for who knows how long. I'm hoping to cash in the elk points this coming season or next though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had 8 and did G this year. Don't regret it a bit. Had a great hunt! Guess it depends on what kind of buck/hunt you are after. We wanted a high country/backpack hunt and G was everything we wanted. I've also never hunted mulies so take my opinion however you want ;)

Jd259

WKR
I’d grab a buddy and burn them somewhere you could hunt every few years or so and get to know an area there’s big bucks all over Wyoming like others have said it just depends on what kind of hunt your looking for if your a high country backpack guy then head for western Wyoming and throw a dart at the map and go hunt it there’s still plenty of big bucks in western Wyoming I can attest to that with my buck from this year from a low point area and you never know how long your going to be able to do this stuff so go hunt! Good luck

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Saw a pretty dang good buck in G this year elk hunting, but noticeably less deer than when I hunted it several years ago on 3 points I believe. The year we hunted it for deer everyone said it was on a down turn. I actually don’t recall a time when G wasn’t reported to be in a downturn....

10 points would be hard to burn. Maybe hold on and go hunt somewhere else OTC.

This conversation comes up in various forms for various states all the time and All I can ever think is that after putting in for points 9-10 years I would no longer be able to even define expectations for a hunt. What experience would be worth waiting that long for? If I only saw one other hunter would that be worth it? If I only saw one animal and it was the buck of a lifetime and i shot it would that be worth it- or what if it was like a parade of shooters and at my leisure I selected one that was most aesthetically pleasing to me, would that be worth paying to wait ten years for? If I was in the position I’d probably think of the handful of guys who wouldn’t hold me back and bring the funniest one to a five point unit.

ORHunter

WKR
This conversation comes up in various forms for various states all the time and All I can ever think is that after putting in for points 9-10 years I would no longer be able to even define expectations for a hunt. What experience would be worth waiting that long for? If I only saw one other hunter would that be worth it? If I only saw one animal and it was the buck of a lifetime and i shot it would that be worth it- or what if it was like a parade of shooters and at my leisure I selected one that was most aesthetically pleasing to me, would that be worth paying to wait ten years for? If I was in the position I’d probably think of the handful of guys who wouldn’t hold me back and bring the funniest one to a five point unit.
Everyone has a different point strategy. There are plenty of states that you can have a fun OTC or 1-3 pp hunt. Thats the whole point, why burn 10 points on a slightly better than average unit. It's not like most people that stock pile points aren't already hunting in other states. Personally I know that unless ID or NM change their system (which i hope they don't) this is the closest I will ever be to having max points. In the meantime I'll still hunt 3-4 other states every year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
What type of hunt and size bucks do you prefer? G and H have steep, isolated country that is prime for backpack hunting. The genetics are as good as it gets in Wyo. Winters have been somewhat rough lately on some of the older age class bucks. Even with tough winters there always seems to be some booners harvested every year in those units. There tends to be a lot of competition for top bucks in those units and it can be mighty busy at treeline on opening of those seasons! It's just a matter of putting in lots of glass time and boot leather.

There are scattered units across Wyo with limited tags that take close to max pts to draw. For the most part, many of these units are open sage-rimrock type hunts. Some of these units tend to be struggling from drought, winterkill, predator issues. A couple of the SW Wyo units have potential for great bucks and a quality experience with fewer hunters but have been struggling from a couple back-to back winterkill years. Central and south-central Wyo are good options. The past couple springs have had decent moisture so fawn crops and antler size is slowly but surely recovering. I've spent time in a couple of these units and have been amazed at how poor the condition of the winter browse species are....in particular the antelope bitterbrush and mountain mahogany tend to be clubbed to the nubs. Some of the sage almost looks dead. Overall, Wyo muledeer tend to be struggling over the past 10ish years. Hopefully they make a come back! If you are willing to put in the time and boot leather you ought to have a great hunt in any Wyo unit. It may take work to find a 180+" buck but they are out there!

I was just in the same situation as you, not enough points to draw a top end rut hunt and too many(I felt) to burn on a low end unit. I ended up burning 11 points on unit 34 October 15-31 hunt. Had a good time, saw no other deer hunters, saw lots of deer and some decent bucks, just no bucks over 160. I ended up hunting really hard and on the last day shot the same caliber of buck that I could have shot on the first day (160 inch 24 inch wide 4 point). I do think if we had better hunting weather instead of the 60-70 degree highs I experienced, it would have been a “better” hunt. In summary, I will never bank anywhere near that many points in Wyoming again, I’ll try to draw as many times as possible in some general areas like g or h and go hunt. I don’t think points for deer in Wyoming get you a guarantee of a chance at bigger bucks(unless you have max points) it just gets you into an area with less hunting pressure. This is coming from a guy that lives in southeast idaho that has/had time to scout the unit and put in the time to hunt hard. Pm me if you want any other opinions on the unit I hunted, as you could probably draw it. I’ll even give you the $35 map I bought for it. Good luck!

idahoan

FNG
Id take a friend and go to region G. Ive had 2 G tags and seen monsters both years. People say its on the decline but region G on the decline is still a lot better than most places...

joelbiltz

WKR
I’m in the same boat. I have 11 points. I am going to share them with two buddies this fall and combined with their points we can draw a good unit and just go have fun!!!

Id take a friend and go to region G. Ive had 2 G tags and seen monsters both years. People say its on the decline but region G on the decline is still a lot better than most places...

Coming from WV where you may see ONE mature buck in a year I thought Region G was awesome lol. Didn't see a ton of deer but did see and kill some nice ones. Would love to go back!

Jacack

WKR
seems like alot of guys ( myself included 9 points ) are in the same boat. I am thinking about cashing in and taking a buddy with me.