Deer was previously shot, is meat still good?

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
Harvested this guy this year and he had been previously shot high on the back. Looked like earlier this year. How much of the meat in that area would you take? If it was infected, would it mean the whole backstraps would be not good?

I ended up taking all but about 3” next to the wound. It didn’t have any smell to it.

c1d3bdfd4545b4d213910f69434b9052.jpg

7e07a649ca275cc04f90e1c11a93d8cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't look infected; if it was and healed it should be good. If the meat smells normal and looks normal, it probably is normal. I think I'd probably cut out a similar about to what you did.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

I'd say I'd do about the same. Cut out anything that looked or smelled abnormal plus 3".
Long as everything u took had a nice color and smell dont worry about it.

If it passes the sniff test, go for it.

Maybe fry some up before mixing it in with the rest of your other meat though, just to be safe.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have your mother-in-law try the first piece.

Naw seriously. Should be fine if no stink.

OP
B

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely kept the back straps separate from the rest.

The wound was dry so my thought was that is wasn’t infected and was healing ok. But i think it’s always good to get more opinions on stuff like this.

Guess I’ll have to be the one to test it. Which is good because if the meat isn’t bad then I’ll get to eat most of the backstraps and if it is bad I’ll spare my family from getting sick.

KHNC

WKR
That looks like exactly how i hit a big muley in montana last month. I scrolled quick down to your pic to see if it was it. lol (wasnt)

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
I've had to put down several bucks that had been wounded and had no issues eating the meat. I'd echo what others have said that it doesn't look infected so you should be fine. But giving your MIL the first piece is solid advice.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
If there's no smell, it should be fine. I shot one a couple of years ago that had a broadhead embedded in the shoulder, and had healed over. Meat a few inches from the healed wound tasted fine