Archery success

CaseyU

WKR
Checked that box!
I was lucky enough to draw a late archery tag in nv. (Gotta love the bonus point system) i live in the unit which made it very conveniant for scouting and spending some time in the hills. Probably the best part of the hunt was the scouting trips with the family. The little ones (2 years old, and 1 month were getting bounced around and checking out all sorts of country and critters with dad and mom. I turned many bucks up durring scouting but no Wow factors. Which lets be honest. Most of us do it for the time in the outdoors and opportunities! So i was more than happy with the quantity and quality of deer i was finding. I had a couple bucks that i would be glad to get an opportunity at and decided to go into some no mans land for the first day as I was going to be solo and would be able to hunt at my own pace and check off some country that i have been eye balling for months. The morning started off with a nice mile hike in to the top of the mountain and then a ton of small bucks coming out of nowhere to check me out and decide if they wanted to fight me or run away. I started peeling each drainage apart and saw some really nice bucks just not the one i was looking for. Just before noon I made it to the drainage i was aiming for and can see deer tracks everywhere. By the time i looked over the whole drainage there were 7 bucks and a bunch of does all over that always seem to,catch you and blow a stalk but atleast there were two bucks i would be very happy with. One being a heavy 4 point that was broke on the fromt left and the other being a big forky. When they got up and started to do what rutting bucks do it didnt take long to figure this fork was the boss of tgis drainage. He ran all the other bucks off his girls. I decided to make a move and closed the distance to 48 yards where i waited for an opportunity. The only reason i was able to close the distance was a solid 20 mph wind until you dropped into the drainages. Finally a doe was getting a little stir crazy and started to investigate. Now or never. I rose up to my knees and they were all standing up looking the opposite direction. I settled the pin a couple ribs back as he was quartering away and let it fly. Because of the wind above me i couldnt hear a hit and thought i missed. As they grouped up i can see a puddle of blood under him and a steady stream coming out. I waited as the buck bedded down. Only to watch one of those earlier 4 points decide it was his opportunity to rule the roost and kick my bucks butt all the way over the ridge. I couldnt believe what i was watching. Long story short. I watched 2 bucks kick my deer out of his bed and I was guilty of jumping him once. With The amount of blood I really felt good about finding him piled up. I have no idea what this deers muscles were using for energy because there was neither fat or blood left in this ol guy. Thankfully about 2500 ft in elevation and a mile later my buck was piled up (snow sure helps tracking!) and my wife was able to come pick me up on the opposite side of the mountain and be my hero. I am more than pleased with him and very grateful for the opportunity and successful hunt. Side bar. I have always had a soft spot for giant forkys. You dont see them often but when you do they always amaze. I always wanted one mysef and am finally able to check that box! Enjoy some pictures and happy holiday boys and girls!
28fc778ca1ed6e7b893a1c496da75e04.jpg
ad83f95f62bbf816efd4c6629e5aadcc.jpg
5500e4825d53f6152902c62ae190d933.jpg
59a1d9caca0a05401a128a2cdd4c47e0.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations. I myself have a soft spot in my heart for giant forkies.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk