Mule deer outfitter advice - Montana

Since this is my first post ill introduce myself briefly. My name is Grant, Im 34 and been big game hunting for a few years now, all self guided in Wyoming, but unfortunately Im a California native. Looking to try a new place and thinking about Montana since I bought some points this year. Since I have zero experience in the area I was thinking about going the outfitter route. The number of websites is a bit overwhelming so I figured Id ask for any advice from people who have maybe hunted the state and gone with an outfitter. I have one preference point for deer, elk and the combo. Im not super cost concerned but want it to be reasonable. Would be open to pack trips into the back country or even a lodge. Just want a fun experience with a decent shot at a mature buck. Thanks in advance!

Trial153

WKR
I cant help you with Montana outfitters but welcome to site. I have bowhunted the eastern 2/3 of the state several times over the last 20 years all diy and if you can hunt wy you can hunt Montana.
In any event I am sure you will get some solid recommendations on here.
Good luck

OP
B
Appreciate the responses. Looks like they are booked already for rifle mule deer. Ill keep them in mind for the future though.

ewade07

WKR
If you head out to eastern montana there is plenty of public land to hunt. Theres also the potential for bug bucks. I would never rent a guide, its not necessary. Get on montana cadastral and look at some places.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say if you’ve done it self guided in Wyoming you could easily save yourself several grand and go self guided in Montana. Maybe cough up the bucks for onX and then you’re good to go!!

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re already comfortable DIY I would go that route. Access can be tough, I would recommend onX and MT offers BLM/BMA maps as well. Public land can get pressured so you need to be in shape to walk if you’re after an older class deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
It would depend on your definition of "mature". If your looking for a 130" 4 point, then that's achievable on your own in Eastern MT. Anything over 160" is a pretty much a giant on public land. General season during the whole month of November = young bucks. FWP "manages" for a complete and utter slaughter.
I'm a resident and don't usually hunt mule deer in MT

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Here's some scary math from FWP's own harvest & population numbers:
Total 2018 Mule Deer Population: 334,965
Total 2018 Mule Deer Buck Population (I'll assume 20 bucks per 100 does, which is likely generous): 55,828
2017 Mule Deer Buck Harvest (not including whitetails): 42,851

Montana's "management strategy" is the harvesting 77% of the mule deer bucks every hunting season (and higher on public land). Add in winter kill and predators and it's probably 80-85% of the mule deer bucks dying each year.

OP
B
Appreciate all the feedback. I have OnX, guess I just need to do the homework to see where to hunt. Its a little overwhelming with my busy schedule which is why I was considering the guided route. Thanks again

sneaky

"DADDY"
Here's some scary math from FWP's own harvest & population numbers:
Total 2018 Mule Deer Population: 334,965
Total 2018 Mule Deer Buck Population (I'll assume 20 bucks per 100 does, which is likely generous): 55,828
2017 Mule Deer Buck Harvest (not including whitetails): 42,851

Montana's "management strategy" is the harvesting 77% of the mule deer bucks every hunting season (and higher on public land). Add in winter kill and predators and it's probably 80-85% of the mule deer bucks dying each year.
I'm doubting that they're killing over 75% of the bucks every year. That would never be sustainable. 20/100 is a number you pulled out of your head. True, the season isn't structured for age class, but no way they're killing that percentage of bucks every year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I saw plenty of bucks, both muley and whitetail when I was chasing elk this year in MT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Sneaky - the 20/100 is probably high and is less important to the math, than the FWP "count" timing (if it includes the recent fawns). If so, the percentage would drop to ~60% of the bucks being harvested every year (and much higher on public land). Additionally, that harvest number does not include wounding loss (add 5-10% of 43,000). For mule deer quality, MT is hands down the most mis-managed state. The only thing saving some bucks is the large amount of private.

mtmuley

WKR
I spent almost 3 weeks in the Missouri Breaks. I wouldn't call what I saw plenty of bucks. I didn't see even one that I think was worth killing. I saw lots of small bucks that were killed. There were hunters killing fork horns just out of a major campground. Pretty much reality here in Montana. On the flip side, I can find numerous shooters in the limited permit area I live in. mtmuley

Brian77

FNG
West Butte Ranch Deer Hunting – Northern Rockies Outfitters

I'd call Rich at NRO 406-756-2544.
Check out their website and see what they have posted from successful hunters.
It's a sweet spot. Great early season archery. Great late winter when the snows and the rut put the Canadian mule deer on our side of the border.
Good luck!
Just read your post. Would you be kind enough to tell me if this reference is still the current situation? Just asking because that was several years ago. I am looking to book a management hunt for 2025 if possible