Hunting Blind Article, your input needed.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, meet Don Smith, on Rokslide as DonSmithWrites

He'd like to do an article for us on Blinds from a Whitetail point of view, but pepper in some input for us Western Hunters too. I know some of you guys use them for Western hunting.

As all good writers do, he's researching his subject and looking for input from you all on what you'd like to see covered in an article like this. Brands, designs, placements? What else needs covered? Just post on here what you'd like covered and of course if you have an experience with Blinds that might help him.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello all:

Thanks for this! I am looking for particular portable deer blinds that can be carried easily on a hike.

My questions are these:

What is the brand you'd recommend?
How easy/complicated is it to set up/tear down?
For new hunters wanting something new, what is the most important aspect of a deer blind to look out for?
And also, can you "MacGuyver" or modify any deer blinds in a pinch, should you the situation call for it?
What is the best material blinds are made of?
What safety factors should be considered?

Thanks again, everyone!!
Don

sneaky

"DADDY"
Primos Double Bull blinds are worth every penny. Easy to set up, get in and out of. Fabric is thicker than other blinds I've used, but more durable. Their new 270 degree and 360 degree blinds that you can see out of through the material but critters can't see in is a nice feature. That being said, if you need a warm blind those two wouldn't be a good choice lol. I've spent quite a bit of time hunting out of blinds for whitetails, but not for elk or mule deer. Might want to go over setting them up in advance so critters can get used to them, not everything is as gullible as an antelope!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
For gun season make sure you put an orange panel, or flagging tape on the outside so you don't get shot.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Be realistic about how many people are going to be in the blind. They can start to get crowded quick. Compound vs trad bows is another thing to consider. You need a taller blind to make some trad gear work.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
If you are setting one up in an area that gets heavy snow, get a center support post. It will keep the roof from collapsing and tearing out. I purchased an adjustable support post from Scheels ($30). We had 14" of heavy snow a couple of weeks ago and the support post did it's job.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you are in a windy area, get some GOOD tent stakes and stake out all the guy lines. Nothing like having to hunt down your possibly shredded blind after it's gone for a ride. The stakes that come with the blinds are iffy at best.

I made my own "ghillie blanket" which I can hang between trees or in the brush. Has worked well for ML/archery antelope, deer, predators, and elk. Rolls up into a compression sack easily and is very quiet. I don't use it every year, but is a tool in the box for certain stand hunting situations.
k6qCYCT.jpg

Last edited:

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the ghillie blanket and fiberglass fence post. What about for late season when the ground is frozen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Here in the east I use both commercial blinds and "build your own" set ups. I agree that if it is at all possible and you know the patterns and usual travel and feeding routes/areas, get in and set the blind up early, if the land isn't too "public" and your blind has the habit of walking away. I'm fortunate to have some private land to hunt on and have several bean/corn fields and apple/oak trees that I hunt. I have found that whitetails get very comfortable with a blind once it has been there for a little bit of time. I have used a lot of different blinds and since I have the opportunity to set up and leave a blind, I use several of the bow blinds made by luckyshuntingblinds.com. I have had one for over 10 years and it is still as good as the day that I bought it. They are a little bit more bulky to carry but once they are up, they are incredible. I have used the method of taking blind material and a fence post set up combined with natural brushing in tactics a lot too. The Lucky's blinds for me have withstood high winds, (I did have one blow over when my wind gauge here at the house showed a 61MPH gust!) and I have had several with 15" of wet heavy snow on them, where I had to brush the snow off, unzip and go inside and hunt.

rayporter

WKR
for frozen ground I have a special rod I drive in with a pipe before I use the step in post.

a hammer and a spike or rod will serve the purpose well to make a prehole for the post.