Utah LE Archery Deer Thoughts?

I have 8 points going into 2019 as a resident. Considering burning my points within the next 1-2 years, would you pick Vernon archery or Book Cliff archery?

I don’t need to shoot a 180”, I would prefer a hunt where I’m successful with a 150” and get to see and stalk many different bucks

If you think I’d be better off putting in for another unit, feel free to comment below or PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Also forgot to mention, I would much prefer to shoot a long tined 3x3 vs a standard 4x4 in case certain areas have specific dominant genetics

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drew the Vernon archery in 17 it's a tough hunt I ate tag soup after hunting hard for 16 days. I think you'll see more deer on the books. Here's 2018 draw
f1c6acc6cf1f0a28ea792c2b59795043.jpg
36b589207acf0c1cfdf1d21dd8444e09.jpg

Doesn't look like eight points will put you in the bonus permit for either unit better hope you get lucky

OP
T
Thanks for the feedback on the Vernon! You are correct, I don’t plan on drawing this year but should be close within the next 1-2 years

That's burning lots of points for archery deer. Those hunts usually have pretty low success rates.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Between the two id say book cliffs easy. With the amount of points you have if you aren't wanting to wait on a better unit i'd start calling the CWMU operators. You'd be surprised the quality and quantity of animals in the point range you have. 150 inch deer would definitely be achievable.

OP
T
That's burning lots of points for archery deer. Those hunts usually have pretty low success rates.

2017 harvest records for book cliffs archery show:

87 tags, 86 people hunted those tags, 74 people harvested, in an average of 5.2 days of hunting for a success rate of 86.4%. Hunters rated the hunt 3.9/5 stars

OP
T

Vernon does have different stats...

39 tags, 39 hunters, 14 successfully harvest during an average of 8.4 days for a total success of 36%

I'd probably go for it then. Those aren't anywhere near the stats I've seen elsewhere but I haven't looked at those units.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sad as it sounds 8 points doesn't get you much value in the Utah draw you take what you can get.
I personally think the book cliffs would be a fun hunt just for the sheer number of deer you get to look over. I saw some good bucks on the vernon but few over all deer. Also take into account both these units are managed for opportunity not trophy. I wouldn't use the harvest stats as to much of a guide because guys on le hunts will take a deer just to fill the tag as their hunt gets close to ending.
I wouldn't draw the Vernon if your not close enough to scout out multiple times it's a big unit but only small areas hold deer. Both units offer tons of access with wheelers but the books has more opportunities to get away from trails. Good luck in the draw sounds like either unit will fulfill your expectations.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Sad as it sounds 8 points doesn't get you much value in the Utah draw you take what you can get.
I personally think the book cliffs would be a fun hunt just for the sheer number of deer you get to look over. I saw some good bucks on the vernon but few over all deer. Also take into account both these units are managed for opportunity not trophy. I wouldn't use the harvest stats as to much of a guide because guys on le hunts will take a deer just to fill the tag as their hunt gets close to ending.
I wouldn't draw the Vernon if your not close enough to scout out multiple times it's a big unit but only small areas hold deer. Both units offer tons of access with wheelers but the books has more opportunities to get away from trails. Good luck in the draw sounds like either unit will fulfill your expectations.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I am located in salt lake and do have buddies that know the unit well but it sounds like the books would be a more enjoyable hunt because I would be able to see many deer/bucks each day