Montana Mulie tag question

So i live in Wisconsin and have one out west hunt under my belt and i am hooked. So i have researched Colorado and Wyoming quite a bit and am understanding their system pretty well, but for whatever reason i am having the hardest time understanding Montana's tag system. Can anyone point me in a good direction?
I am looking to do an otc public land mule deer rifle hunt, or a low preference point hunt. Just want a chance to tag a mulie buck, by no means am i expecting a monster in a general tag area.
I am not looking for hunt unit recomendations, just what i would need to purchase as far as a tag goes.
Im sure its not that difficult, but for whatever reason the montana system has been difficult for me to learn

slick

WKR
You’ll need to apply for their NR Deer Combo.

It’s $625 and has a quota of 4600. It’s a PP system for the NR general tag.

Bonus points are for the permits.

Last edited:
OP
44maghunter
Slick thanks for the reply.
So the NR deer combo you can just buy otc?
And what does the permit do exactly? Online it says "enhances a hunt"...what exactly does that mean?

Lawnboi

WKR
You will need to apply for and draw the general tag

Permits allow you to hunt certain areas, if you look in the regs you can see where you need a specific permit, and where you need just the general tag.

slick

WKR
Like Lawnboi said, a permit is essentially a Limited Entry tag. 652 comes to mind.

In order to hunt Mule Deer buck’s in 652 as a NR, you would first need to apply and then be selected for a NR Deer combo (capped at 4600) This would give you the General Deer tag. You would also need to apply for the 652-50 permit (capped at 100 total between R and NR).

OP
44maghunter
Ok thanks for the info guys, that definitely helped clarify things for me. I really appreciate it.