First Backpack Hunt

Codyk315

FNG
Hey everyone!
I am looking at going on my first DIY backpack hunt out west this year. I am from KS and mainly whitetail hunt, but really looking to come west. Started getting in shape and gathering gear, now just need to figure out this tag stuff!!
I have started the process of trying to narrow down the states that offer opportunities OTC or drawing with 0 points. Looking like CO is going to be the best bet, but any other information would be much appreciated!
I have been looking at CO on GoHunt and trying to narrow down some units that we can get into. Right now I have units 18 (27,28,37,181,371), Unit 34, Unit 35 (36,45,361), and Unit 444. Does anyone have any information or insight on these units or any better unit?
Thanks!!

Azone

WKR
34 was tough this year, I had never been there and there was orange damn near everywhere. Didn't see much, dead or alive. 35 was very good to me one year, killed a buck and a bull third season a few years back. 444 looked okay from what I seen of it. Look up harvest stats and success rates and remember if it can be drawn with no points or it goes to leftovers there's a reason. Like many have said on here find a unit with the type of terrain you want to hunt and start laying boot tracks in it.
If you put in several years it will be like hunting in your own backyard. Also the "way back areas" can be loaded with backpackers. Wilderness does not guarantee solitude anymore in a lot of spots anymore...... Good luck and have at it.

27/181 could be a good first backpack style hunt. I've hunted 27 a couple times and while there are no major wilderness areas, there are some good places where you can get in a mile or so from the roads and find some good deer while gaining valuable experience about this type of hunting. While you were there, you could scout up some access points in neighboring units that have larger wilderness areas for future hunts that take a few points. If you are looking to absolutely get in deeper to rough country and are in shape/experienced enough to do so then maybe look at 28.

OP
Codyk315

Codyk315

FNG
How in depth does everyone look and analyze units before applying? I am trying gather as much info from GoHunt and the CO W&P that I can to see what the hunter density and success, plus deer numbers are and best range.

bsnedeker

WKR
How in depth does everyone look and analyze units before applying? I am trying gather as much info from GoHunt and the CO W&P that I can to see what the hunter density and success, plus deer numbers are and best range.

That's about the level I go to when applying...gohunt and the DFW of whatever state I'm looking at. I used to spend a lot more time on it than I do now because I was really worried about being able to find elk as a newbie coming from the midwest. With a few hunts under my belt I'm now much more confident that if there are elk in a unit I can find them, so that's where my research starts and ends: making sure there are elk there based on past statistics. If/when I draw I start digging into whatever unit I have access to REALLY deep.

OP
Codyk315

Codyk315

FNG
Do you plan on hunting rifle, muzzle loader or archery? That choice alone will really guide you to what gear you need and what state to apply in. If you want to backpack for deer in Colorado I might suggest choosing an earlier season. I was hunting second season this year and at 10000 feet it was not conditions I would want to have been in for my first backpack hunt. Late season backpack hunting is a different animal than early. I am not sure if you can draw with zero points but a muzzle loader hunt in September is my favorite time to backpack hunt mule deer.

Early bow season.