Colorado Deer

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

I am looking to do a rifle hunt in Colorado next year. I do not have any points and while I do care about finding a quality buck, I am more concerned with just getting a tag. My question is should I focus on trying to get a second season tag and hope there are deer in the area or should I roll the dice and try for a third season tag? I have never hunted Colorado before so any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Welcome to Rokslide!

Usually during 2nd season you can find bucks. Most of them smaller bucks. 3rd season we see more deer and the bigger bucks are starting to come out. Just my experience. I'd just get a tag and go hunting!

OP
norcal7.3

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Taylor,

I haven't hunted out of my home state enough to be too terribly picky on size, but I would like to put myself into an area that has the potential for a decent buck. From what I've heard, any area in Colorado has that potential.

There are a lot of variables to consider. What type of terrain do you want to hunt in? Aspens? Pines? Sage? Grasslands? How do you feel about snow? What kind of terrain can your vehicle help you into? Are you planning on a backpack experience or basecamp and day hunts from there?

Check out the Colorado Parks and wildlife big game statistics for draw and success odds. Read the big game brochure and learn the hunt code formula. Once it "clicks" it makes sense pretty quickly. For Example, DF091O1R Stands for "Deer, Female (or antlerless), Unit 091, First Season, Rifle". Here is a more detailed guide: How to Read Colorado Hunt Codes - HuntScore

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Deer/2018DeerDrawnOut.pdf
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Deer/2018DeerDrawRecap.pdf

OP
norcal7.3

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
Gunnersdad49,

I've figured out the hunt code thing and am currently at my desk looking over draw stats. Ideally I would like to hunt an area that is very glassable. Terrain type doesn't matter too much, but I do like the snow and aspens. I would most likely set up a basecamp and hunt from that location with the ability to move. I have access to use quads and or side by sides if needed. Thanks for the links and the info.

If you like snow, the later in the year, and higher in elevation you go, the better your chances at finding it.

I would go second season just for the fact that it's "typically" milder weather, and when learning a new unit I think it's better to do so when you have better accessibility due to less snow and better road conditions. 3rd seems to be more unpredictable weather wise.

Takem

WKR
We switched to second season 10 years ago to be able to go more often to our area. There was a little drop off in size of bucks we see and get but not that much. I would pick a unit that fits the kind of country you like to hunt and plan on going at least a couple of years to figure it out. Next year will be our 9th in the same spot over the last 17 years.

OP
norcal7.3

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the replies. Ive been looking over maps and draw odds and have a decent starting point for the upcoming application period.

Bkottke35

WKR
when you’re applying for Colorado you may select up to four different hunt codes. Do your homework (sounds as if you are) and you should be able to get one of your choices if you play the game correctly. With that said, there are great deer all over here. If you’ve got onXmaps or something similar you can really expand your options for access to public lands in a unit that may be mainly private. You could have some decent success as a lot of times these units get overlooked due to access issues. Good luck!

Ericbell

FNG
I’ve hunted mulies in Colorado twice in Unit 18 and I’ve had hunters draw a deer tag in both 2nd & 3rd seasons without having any preference points. The later you can go the better the huntyis for mulies so I’d go for 3rd season.

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
when you’re applying for Colorado you may select up to four different hunt codes. Do your homework (sounds as if you are) and you should be able to get one of your choices if you play the game correctly. With that said, there are great deer all over here. If you’ve got onXmaps or something similar you can really expand your options for access to public lands in a unit that may be mainly private. You could have some decent success as a lot of times these units get overlooked due to access issues. Good luck!

This is all the rage right now on the interwebs, "apply for the units with hard access because on X Maps is lyfe." IT will soon be ruined too.

Bkottke35

WKR
This is all the rage right now on the interwebs, "apply for the units with hard access because on X Maps is lyfe." IT will soon be ruined too.

Won’t take long, that’s for sure. But ya can’t shoot them sitting at home.